Rotary switch - PLEASE help...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Suburban, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Suburban

Suburban

Guys,
    I've been searching for quite a while for a rotary switch that would work for a bass. But all I find is micro-electronics (you know, mini-screwdriver operated :spit: ) or large chunks like stove switches :)spit: again).

I know there are a few bassbuilders that use these things, so I'm coming closer to desperate by the day! Why can't I find it?

:bawl: PLEASE help me to find a supplier!:bawl:
  2. elros

elros

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Go to ELFA and search for part # 35-490-03 - those are neat little rotary switches. I have one in my Listerud bass (photos here).
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

4. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian

5. Scott French

Scott French

I use the ones from Allparts. 4 pole - 5 or 6 positions. Huge switches but they get the job done.
  6. full_bleed

full_bleed

I'm not trying to jack this thread but my question is related so I figued I'd ask it here. I didn't see one but i may have missed it... does anyone make a concentric 5 position rotary switch?
  7. Scott French

Scott French

Concentric usually implies two or more things are sharing the cirlce... do you mean stacked pot/switch? Or just rotary switch?

I was doing a setup this week and the guitar had a two position rotary switch (like on/off). I need to ask the guy where he got that.
  8. full_bleed

full_bleed

a stacked rotary switch
  9. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine

So it is two rotary switches?
  10. full_bleed

full_bleed

yeah two in one. one on top of the other
  11. Scott French

Scott French

The single ones are already about an inch square worth of connectors, I can't imagine a double one fitting in an instrument.
  12. full_bleed

full_bleed

I saw one once but I can't remember where it was since I wasn't looking for it at the time. It didn't look that big from the picture but looks can be decieving.
  13. elros

elros

Disclosures:
    If you need stacked rotary switches, I must recommend the ELMA Type 04. They are very good. Not cheap, but very good. I've also used some of their Type 01 switches. They're smaller, obviously.

[​IMG]

ELFA carries these, too.

The ones I mentioned earlier, though, are quite all right: not expensive, easy to work with, and they are available in a number of configurations: 1p12w, 2p6w, 3p4w, 4p3w; and you can limit the number of positions by changing a little stop ring. So you could easily have a 4 pole 2 way switch, if you like.
    I don't know who makes these. I thought it was Cliff UK, but I couldn't find them on their web site.

[​IMG]
  14. Suburban

Suburban

Thanks a lot guys!
    Esp. Hallgeir, who just made me re-realize that I'm not very bright...

My basic idea was to arrange a humbucker into six sounds: single brigde, parallel, series, single neck, parallel out of phase and series out of phase.
    I thought I needed a 4 pole 6 position switch...but do I? Or is it a 2P6T I need?
    :confused: :confused: :confused:
  15. pilotjones

You can do plain s/p with a DPDT, but AFAIK you need a 4-pole to do any anything as complex as what you're talking about.

You would need 6-throw, since you're looking for 6 settings.

Are you talking about one humbucker, or a pair of them?
  16. elros

elros

Disclosures:
    Ah. Very interesting. Somewhat similar to what I've done to mine.

But may I suggest trying these connections seperately, before trying to figure out how to fit them all on a single rotary switch? Because I suspect that some settings may not be very useful, esp. the out of phase modes; I expect these will produce pretty bad bass response.

That said, IIRC there is the rotary switch that Dingwall makes, that does what you want, minus the out of phase modes. That switch is meant for two seperate pickups, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work on the two coils of a humbucker, providing that you can access those coils individually.
    Of course, it shouldn't prove difficult to come up with a way to connect a switch to do this. But I'm not sure how many poles you'd need. Perhaps a 3p4w switch would do. I'd have to think about that... :-/

BTW: My sig isn't aimed at anyone in particular, LOL! :)
  17. Juneau

Juneau

You might call Sheldon Dingwall actually. He uses a 4-way rotary switch in his basses. He built it himself, so he might be willing to build a custom 6-way for you. Youd have to talk to him of course. His username here is Sheldon D. if you want to PM.
  18. pilotjones

Agree that you may not want the out-of-phase positions. My Pedulla had a phase switch, and I never used it, probably since it drops out the fundamental.

I have a wiring diagram I can give you that gives the same positions as the Dingwall (1/S/P/2), using a 4P4T switch.
  19. Suburban

Suburban

Yes, please.:) I'm a collector...:meh:

Actually, this is not my idea. It is proudly stolen from Garreth Cooper, you know, GMCbasses? He has built a couple of those, and the sound clips are 'promising'. I agree that the out-of-phase positions will not be worn out, but they are pretty cool as a flavour to some tunes.
    And I have heard that Sheldon, and JP, use half that concept, too - 4way.

I'll have to look into Dingwall a bit...

And Hallgeir; dispite that I feel very - ehm - pointed out by that sig:D I look forward to the result of your further thinking!

Thanks, friends! Any further ideas are welcome.
  20. pilotjones

I've got that home, I'll have to scan it and post.

Meanwhile, for the collector, I've just found a circuit LeFay uses for dual (MM) humbucker setups. It gives all four series humbucking combinations of two coils (pup1 both coils, pup2 both coils, outer coils, inner coils), and gives all possible parallel combinations. Using a 4PDT to switch from series to parallel modes, a 6P4T ?I think? to switch the series modes, and 4x SPDT (1 per pup) to turn each coil on in parallel mode. Go to the LeFay site, the link to the parts site (different company name), then find the MM I think.
    I believe JP uses Dingwall's switch in his basses.