1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rotary switch wiring help, please.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 28, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

I am trying to figure out a way to have three pickups in my bass and use an Audere preamp. Audere preamps have two inputs because the pickups connect in stereo for active blending. Because of this I want to use a rotary switch that has two outputs - a neck and bridge.

Here's how I want it to be:

[​IMG]

What kind of switch do I need and how would I wire it?

2. line6man

line6man

You need a rotary toggle switch with a minimum of three poles. I can post a diagram later.

Note that three position rotary toggles are hard to come by. You may end up with a four or five position switch. If that's the case, you can do additional pickup combos, and/or mute positions.

3. fourstringbliss

I was able to find a four pole rotary switch pretty easily. I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the help!

4. fourstringbliss

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

7. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

3 Picks and only 2 Inputs in to the PreAmp
    I am guess that with this blending thing that we can have two pickups selected at all times
    Neck Middle Bridge
    NM, NB & MB
    2P3T
    Pin - Pole 1 - Pole 2
    1 - Neck - Middle
    2 - Neck - Bridge
    3 - Middle - Bridge
    then link the outputs of the switch to the PreAmp
    [​IMG]
    you could use a 2P6T in that kind of switch that would let you pick each pick ups on its own as well
    [​IMG]

Dont know what would happen if you sent the same signal in to both sides of the PreAmp and blend it
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2P6P-Double-Pole-Six-Position-Rotary-Wafer-Switch-/121139803144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c347eb408
    worries me they call it 2P6P when the world calls it 2P6T

8. fourstringbliss

Two pole switch like this? Excellent - thanks for the help!

9. fourstringbliss

Thanks for the diagrams! The bottom one makes sense but I don't understand how the top one relates to a round switch. Probably because I don't have a rotary switch with me and I don't understand them very well.

Normally, you would connect the neck hot to one input and the bridge hot to the other input and you'd get a full stereo blend between the pickups. Passive blend pots really only give you neck, both, bridge but not really in between sounds. With this design you can truly have 80% neck and 20% bridge or any other ratio.

10. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Top one one would be a 2P3T, not sure if i seen one of them ..
    Just done on the fact if you could turn off the other Pickup with the Blend, you could go with the Neck+Middle, Neck+Bridge and Middle+Bridge and you would have every thing.

the 2P6T gives you a Switch that lets you go Neck, Middle, Bridge, Neck+Middle, Neck+Bridge and Middle+Bridge

11. fourstringbliss

It looks like the top diagram is the correct one for me but I'm a complete noob when it comes to rotary switches. Is there any way you could either label the pole locations or show the connections more the way the poles would look on the switch itself? Sorry for the hassle.

12. line6man

line6man

[​IMG]

From top to bottom, on the left:
    Pole 1, throw 1.
    Pole 1, throw 2.
    Pole 1, throw 3.
    Pole 2, throw 1.
    Pole 2, throw 2.
    Pole 3, throw 3.

From top to bottom, on the right:
    Pole 1, common.
    Pole 2, common.

13. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Ive just got to nip out (to pick up a Strat lol) and ill try and do the Wiring as you see it from the Bottom (I've just brought some 2P6T Switches if that is the one you want, ill also do a 3P4T (same family of switch but one pole will not be used and a Throw will be Dead) you can get 2P4T what are only a bit bigger than a Toggle Switch.

14. fourstringbliss

I've got it now! In setting one both "1's" are active and so on. This setup would give me neck/middle in position 1, neck/bridge in 2, and middle/bridge in 3, right?

Should I use "make before break" or "break before make"?

What about this switch: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=190843661075

15. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

well that would be ok with the Switching you been talking about.

You could have the 2P6T
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2P6P-Double-Pole-Six-Position-Rotary-Wafer-Switch-/121139803144?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c347eb408&afsrc=1
    What is half the price, im not sure about postage as im in the UK.

[​IMG]
    I believe that is how you should see it
    Now i dont know what would happen if you have NECK and Neck going in to the Blend Pot, so i left connect if you wanted to do that as COLOUR and White in the middle, as to Black with COLOUR in the middle for ones you have to connect

16. fourstringbliss

Here's my idea. I'm going to use a 4 position 3 pole rotary switch and only use poles 1 and 2.

I want:
    Position 1 to be n/m
    Position 2 to be n/b
    Position 3 to be m/b
    Position 4 to be n/mb.

Would this diagram work?

[​IMG]

I would connect the middle pickup output to three different lugs to isolate that signal, if that makes sense.

Keep in mind that the preamp has two separate inputs - neck and bridge.

17. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

you just linked M to B always then (basically shorted them out together) the Switch is the only thing keeping the Single apart
    would need 3P4T
    [​IMG]

Were I have Black Dots/PreAmp1/PreAmp2 you just hooked them up the PreAmp Neck/Bridge

18. fourstringbliss

I can get a 3p4t - how would I wire it with a 3p4t to get what I'm looking for?

19. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

i was working on it as you typed :p

I tried to show it as you did than a Rotary
    It should give you want you want
    N/M
    N/B
    M/B
    N/MB
    [​IMG]

20. fourstringbliss

Sorry about that! I'm doing things on my phone and I didn't see the diagram you made. Pole 1 is for neck connections, 2 is bridge, and 3 is both, right? The outputs for poles 2 and 3 and linked and then that goes to the bridge preamp input. Can I connect the same colored dots together on the switch or do I need separate connections from the neck pup to each neck switch lug?

21. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Yes that is how I've shown it (i think i should of shown it Neck Middle Bridge.sorry)
    you can connect the same colored dots together

but like Drinking.. YOu cant MIX your connections