Roto 55s won't stay in tune

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bakkster_Man, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Swapped my 110 gauge 77s for 55s, looking for a bit warmer tone but still smoother than rounds. They're tuned down a whole step and even with the heavier tension set (105) they don't seem to stay in tune. Could that be because the tension is too low (I don't think they make 110s in the pressure wound), or some other reason. Anyone else have this problem?

If it's a problem inherent with the 55s in drop tuning, are there any pressure wound or half wound suggestions? I like the sound of the 55s and how they play, just not retuning every 10 minutes.
  2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

hmmmm,... how long have they been on?
  3. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Month and a half. Been sticking with them in case they were just breaking in, but it seems like a long time to wait.
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

All four of them go flat? Maybe somehow they're not securely wrapped around the tuning posts?
  5. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

All four strings are going out of tune. Sometimes sharp, sometimes flat which has me wondering about temperature. They've each got two winds on the pegs, shouldn't be slipping.
  6. delta7fred

delta7fred

Sounds like a temperature induced shift, if they were slipping on the pegs they would not move together and never go sharp.
  7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Sounds like winter. Is the instrument kept near a heater?
  8. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Have you tried stretching them?
  9. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Right next to an exterior wall of a former loading dock. I'll try moving my stand father from the wall, see if that helps.
  10. Lownote38

Lownote38

three winds per string is my rule, and then stretching them by hand until they stay in tune. Did you adjust the intonation when you changed gauges?
  11. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

I did set intonation, but it's usually my rule to go back and check a few weeks later to make sure it's keeping it well. I'll try stretching and reintonating.
  12. hotbass57

hotbass57

Besides winter try checking the phillips screw on your tuner. I had the same thing on a couple strings snugged it back down and it worked.
  13. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

A little temperature or humidity fluctuation plus tight nut slots not allowing the strings to move freely can also attribute to this.
  14. 10cc

10cc

Is there a five year old around? My son messes with my stuff all the time. Found a pizza crust in my sound hole one time.
  15. hotbass57

hotbass57

10cc +1 yes could be the dreaded Kidlems! I have one that's 20 and thinks it's funny, until he leaves his stuff out. :)
  16. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

This is happening as frequently as between songs. Play for 4 minutes, retune...
  17. hotbass57

hotbass57

I think it's your tuners slipping, or something going on with your bridge.
  18. 10cc

10cc

That's definitely pizza crust problems. Has this always happened with this instrument or did this start after changing the strings out. Or have you've changed up your routine storage?