1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rotos, 2nd dead pack in a row.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JellinWellen, Dec 8, 2013.

1. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

This is a bit absurd, I recently was sent a free pack of Rotosound RS66LD after the new ones I had purchased had a dead D string out of the pack. I just put the replacements on and now the replacement E is super dead.

I really like these strings but this is extremely frustrating to say the least. :(

Also, everytime I change strings and put new ones on my Babicz bridge E string saddle will rattle like crazy, is this just because the strings haven't settled in yet?
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Contact where you purchased them from this should not be.

Check strings for twists as well.

If the shop is giving giving you a hard time contact me and I can get you sorted.
  3. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

That's why I switched to DR Hi Beams a few years back - brighter, last longer, and I haven't had a dead string yet. And I was a Roto user for over 30 years ....
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I had gotten the original pack from guitar center, I emailed Rotosound and they shipped me the current set. I tried to sort of roll the string around in my fingers while it was on my bass and it moved quite easily so I'm assuming the string isn't twisted.
  5. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    I have seen packs that were two generations old on the wall in some shops. Hopefully just a fluke.

Release all tension from the string and make sure it does not try to curl over itself and lay flat across the board
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Okay just tried that, didn't move at all. If I had to describe the tone of the string I would have to say it sounds like plastic.

Gonna make a separate thread about the bridge as its still rattling a bunch.
  7. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

I've had that happen years ago too every once in a wile with rotos. I wonder if it has to do with possibly the beginning or end of the spool when the wind them at the factory. It's a Wierd type of dead and won't come bright again when cleaned with denatured alcohol. Like something was wrong when they wound it. But they do sound great 99% of the time.
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Link to other thread.
  9. Precision101

Precision101

My first pack of rotos had a dead A string. I still am a rotosound user but still... It's like a 50 50 chance nowadays getting a good and bad pack.