1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rotosound Drop Zone 66 - 4 (5) String Set - F# B E A (D) Ideas

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Feb 1, 2014.

1. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

I saw this on Sanpinfunks site so has anyone tryed these strings yet? Am Thinking about throwing it on my 5 string bass. Good Idea or Not so much? Am not sure what my used for low F# but Now i want to try to get to the low F# tuneing.

2. Jensby design

Jensby design

:rollno: Nothing musical happens down there :rollno:

3. Junk420

Junk420

There is music everywhere

4. Jensby design

Jensby design

:rollno: nope :rollno: just going to make your amp fart.
    :rolleyes: What song are you going to play with that "Classical Gas"?
    Besides you've been using D'Addario strings you put Rotos on your bass is going to pee itself.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Junk420

Junk420

To each his own, sir. I just ordered a Dingwall specifically for F# playing. I was hoping some people would chime in on these strings because the only ones I know off the top of my head that will fit the NG2 are the sets from Dingwall and they also recommend Circle K's.

7. Jensby design

Jensby design

I've been tuning my 6-string F#BEADG (sometimes lower)for 14 years now. I have tried many different strings. Circle K is by far my favorite, they make amazing strings for sub tuning. The best part with Circle K is how many gauges you get to choose from.

I liked Rotosound 66 strings they're great for when you want an aggressive tone but I was looking for more versatility (did not try the .175 this was before it came out I'm old).
    As for :ninja: Rotosound's drop zone sets seem a little unbalanced, singles might be the way to go if you're picky.

8. Junk420

Junk420

Thanks for the tips! I'm shopping around for 5 string sets and I have heard lots of good things about Circle K's. I will take a look at what they have to offer.

9. InsaneBassninja

InsaneBassninja

They have my 140 stirng but not sure if thats going to meat it up which am thinking about geting a 182 from curvy k those.

10. Jensby design

Jensby design

Pardon my friends he is from India, English is not his first luggage, and his spell-check is broken.
    What he meant to say was,
    "They make a .140 gauge string but I am not sure if that's going to ???? ?? ?? ????? I am thinking about getting a .182 from Circle K Strings."

To that I say, that .182 makes a great F# string, that is what I used for years. I am currently using a .142 for my F# (this will not work well on most basses, my bass was designed for low tension strings) this gives me a tone somewhere between Fieldy and Claypool (think Korn shaking hands with beef). If you don't want "that tone" I suggest balancing the tension on your F#,B, and E-strings.
    To get the most mileage out of your low notes you have to be able to walk down an octave and have it still sound like the same instrument. Circle K does this very well not only in tension but in design (string formula) as well.
    I once heard a demo of the Dark Lord bass tuned F#BEA :meh: maybe it had a bad set-up but I did not care for the sound of the F#-string.
    Adam Nolly's Dingwall with Circle K Strings on the other hand has a F# that makes me jealous
    http://youtu.be/lMxbP1V3WBo (7:55)