1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rotosound Flatwounds Problem

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Ive had a set of Rotosound Flats (45-105) on my Ibanez 1200e for about 7 weeks now. I haWe noticed that while the other strings have broken in and acquired a full, resonant sound, the E-string is still very bright, but the notes have a much shorter decay time. Why is this??
    Also, the D-string is much higher tension than the others, and is nearly impossible to bend.

:help:
  2. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

IIRC roto flats have VERY high tension
  3. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Not a huge fan of the Rotosound flats...I never thought they felt or sounded like real flats, but they work for some.

Flatwound String Reviews
  4. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Some flats take longer to break-in than others, even in the same set. You to be real patient with flats, but if they're still not right after a few months then I'd start to suspect an actual problem.
  5. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

I just put the Roto 77s on my 5 string about 10 days ago. The tension increase dictated a complete new set up. I just cranked my truss rod about 1/8 turn too much and finally got a little fret buzz at 1st/2nd fret. I had cranked it quarter turns several times over the last week. I'm going to let it sit another night and reset it again. Then set intonation, pick up height, etc. I had switched from Pro Steels so it has been a transition. Check saddle of D string and see if it is where it should be for your scale. Don't know if any of this helps but that's been my recent experience with the strings in question.

fnord!
  6. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

There's a bit of similar discussion about Roto flats here.

I've sort of gone off them due to their inconsistency.
    It's a shame, because I really liked the sound of the E and A strings in both the sets of SM77s I tried.

...... Back I went to Chromes!
  7. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

I guess I need Pyramids
  8. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Apparently a standard set of Rotosounds (45-105) is only about 7 pounds lighter than the Labella Jamerson set.:eek::meh: