rotosound nexus strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by hartke bassist9, Oct 9, 2013.

1. hartke bassist9

hartke bassist9

I've been using roto 66 strings on my GL jazz bass for a couple years now and I love them but recently I noticed that rotosound has made these nexus strings. Has anybody used these before? If so, how are they?
  2. GK Growl

GK Growl

Yes, I bought several sets a couple years ago when they first came out. Right of the bat, I had dud strings in 2 of the sets which Rotosound replaced but pretty annoying still. Anyway, they are certainly not as bright as Swing Bass 66 but they have that midrange that Rotosound is known for. The nexus are an "alloy 52" wrap which makes them quite high output for a black coated string. Also looks wise, these are black coated with multicolored silks on the ends of the string. E is green, A is red, D is yellow, G is blue. Here is a link to someone playing them on a Schecter Model T. This sounds how they sounded for me, mid prominent and burpy without a lot of high end sparkle:

3. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Love this guy's tone.
  4. GK Growl

GK Growl

Yeah and I dig his style too. It's refreshing to actually see someone having fun and holding down the groove rather than endless bass wankery with no emotion.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

@ 0:40 Apprantely Jaco requested strings with different colored silks because he felt he could hear the color, and wanted a different one for each string. Did he ever play these?
  8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    British say Color, Americans say Tone :)

They are a cool string feel slick too!
  9. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

British say Colour :p
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Ah yes :)

I'd love to visit the other side of the pond again.
  11. Mike M.

Mike M.

I really dug the video of the guy with the Model T as well! I liked his tone so much that I'm thinking of trying those Nexus strings on my MIJ Classic 70's P bass!

Also....has anyone ever tried the "Solo Bass 55" set by Rotosound? Correct me if I'm wrong, bit of what I gather, it's their version of a pressure wound string.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
  12. Precision101

Precision101

Yes. It's kind of a cross between flats and rounds. There is still string noise and the brightness goes away pretty quickly but overall sound pretty tight.