1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rotosound RS66S - opinions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by foq1978, Aug 27, 2012.

1. foq1978

foq1978

I've just ordered a set. I like my strings not too zingy, but I couldn't adapt to flats or tape wounds -- I misssome of the zing. And texture (I like some friction when playing). Did I make a good choice?

Thanks
  2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

You have a short scale bass, I assume?

Those ARE going to be zingy for a few hours. Very zingy. But, Rotos mellow out pretty quickly and have a very nice growl.

They also have a lot of texture. Kind of the "anti-flat". :)
  3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I agree. Actually, the ones I've used have tended to stay more zingy than most other string brands for months, even after losing some initial zing. Give them a shot, I've basically switched to them.
  4. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

It's weird, I used to really like rotosound swing bass strings in the 80's, but I think something happened in the 90's, they seemed to change. I just put some on today after not trying them for many years and I still am disappointed by them. They just seem kind of dull sounding and the strings feel sticky, it's like it's hard for me to move my hand over them. This is how I remember them from the 90's but not the 80's. Anyone have a similar opinion?
  5. atomicdog

atomicdog

I like RSs. They take a couple of weeks to break and lose some of their brightness, but worth the wait.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I just think you got used to other strings and forgot how sticky they are. And I don't know about the formula changing but they are quite zingy to me and still feel like Rotos when I play someone else's bass that has them.
  7. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Yeah, but should they feel sticky? I don't want strings to feel sticky. I don't know, I really think they sounded different in the 80's. They sound duller to me now.
  8. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

They are a little grabby at first. I wipe mine down with some bass brites and that helps get rid of some of the stickiness. If you find that you don't like them, check out la Bella stainless steel strings. Not quite as bright to begin with but when both sets are broken in they sound very similar with the La Bellas being a lot smoother and not sticky at all.
  9. foq1978

foq1978

I've just installed them and wow! They sound great (even on my poor sx)! They also feel very good, but not as grabby as I thought they would be at first. Thank you all for the support.
  10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Rotosound swing66 are the best strings made imo. But theyre not for every one. They orient toward growly modern sound.
  11. winterburn69

winterburn69

My opinion? the best! certainly not for everybody, but I sure like them!
  12. Danhorse

Danhorse

I found them very dry sounding, really percussive - I immediately thought they are good for slapping and popping but not for me.
  13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Roto 66 = Zingy!
    I you don't like them too zingy go nickel round wounds.
    I played Roto 66 for many years on a Rick 4003. ZZZingy!!!