Rotosound SM66 having zero bottom

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by J03YW, Jan 4, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

I got SM66s to compliment my Geddy Lee jazz bass, I wanted rotos but just slightly lighter, and I love their bright and mid heavy character but I can't get over the lack of lows. If I go up to normal swing bass gauge, would I get some bottom back? (BTW I'm comparing these to the Ernie Ball slinky nickel whatever bass strings you can get everywhere)
  2. JetBlackJazz

JetBlackJazz

True bass content doesn't come from gauge. It comes from where you play on the bass, wood tone, and equalization.
  3. J03YW

J03YW

I've heard that thicker gauge can get you a little fatter tone, but I'm not sure how true that is. They are rotosounds, after all. I just noticed a little hollowness/lack of warmth when the Ernies came off.
  4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Where are you getting that idea? It absolutely comes from guage; that's why flats sound bassier than roundwounds in most cases, it's the amount of metal used. It's one of the main reasons why bass guitars have more low end than regular guitars. I hate to disagree on TB so vehemently, but really :eyebrow:

Yes, putting on heavier strings WILL get you more bass frequencies. Not that playing position, EQ, and wood don't factor into the bass equation, or that lighter strings can't be deep sounding. Er, IME and all that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GK Growl

GK Growl

This idea probably comes from the fact that roundwounds are just as capable of producing as much or more bottom end than flatwounds. With rounds, higher frequencies can give the illusion of less bottom but it is there. Also, some of us believe that lighter gauges actually produce more bottom because the string is more flexible which enhances the fundamental. Stiffer accentuates harmonics. The problem for me with lighter gauges is pitch stability and finger feel, but the bottom is always there.