Rotosound Solo Bass 55 review

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BassPlayer900, Nov 13, 2012.

1. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

So today I put some Rotosound SM55 (.40 .60 .80 .100) strings on my bass. These are the first pressurewound strings I've ever tried.

These strings are SO AWESOME so far. I haven't broken them in yet. They are very bright and rich, kind of piano-like. The mids are strong and really sing. The lows are good and full. They sound A LOT like the Rotosound 66s that I tried a long time ago, maybe even better!. They have a sticky feel that reminds of the 66s. I'll probably get to used to it if I keep playing them. They are also very smooth, maybe even smoother than DR steel Lo Riders (been a while since I've played those though).

These strings replaced EB Cobalts (.45 .65 .85 .105). I prefer the smaller size of the Rotos. In terms of sound, the Rotos are nice and loud, and not as harsh as the Cobalts.

I really can't wait to see how these awesome strings age!
  2. Ezmar

Ezmar

At first I thought you said "I haven't broken them yet.", and I was like, "How long do your strings USUALLY last? :eyebrow:".
  3. BassPlayer900

BassPlayer900

Well one thing I noticed today is that my intonation needs worked on. I'm guessing it's because I went from rounds to pressurewounds.

I noticed how the strings were sounding really weird and bad and then I realized the intonation was not very good, especially on the E string. So once I get that fixed they should (hopefully) sound much better.

I just can't get over how bright and powerful they are! And they are smoother than any of the roundwounds I've ever used!