1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rotosound Swing Bass 66 problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by throbbinnut, Aug 28, 2000.

1. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

Last night, I put on a new set of standard longscale Rotosounds that were made in 1993 and have been sitting in my closet since, and the E and the A are a dull color, and are dead as crap. The D and the G are trebly and bright silver in color, and sound like every other new set of strings I have ever bought. I assume this is not right. They are all supposed to have the same type of sound, right? I read a few threads mentioning Rotosounds that were dead out of the pack, and I assume this is what I have.

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. Brian Gordon

Brian Gordon

I used those strings like forever and loved them. But about a year or so ago I abandoned them. I don't think it was just rumors. I think there is truth to the discussion surrounding Rotos. Their quality is not the same as they used to be. I stopped buying them after having a string go dead flat in a week more than once. I have since been using DR High Beams. See my post in the DR thread for my comments on them.
  3. throbbinnut

throbbinnut

I pulled the dead Roto's, and put on D'addario XL165's, which are the same sizes as the Swing bass strings, but Nickel. I like em. I never had even thought about Nickel vs. Stainless, but I like the idea of Nickel being easier on the frets, and I like the sound, too. And they're cheaper.

I totally agree with the King of D'Addario, strings should be made by machine. Handmade has its place for some stuff, but for cheap, repeatable results, machines will kick all our butts. I'm reading Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World" right now, and an automated society does have its bad points, but thank Ford for automated production. :D

Chris
  4. sgraham

sgraham

I, too, was a long time Rotosound user but a few years
    ago I would always get a dead E or A string right out
    of the pack! And I thought I was the only one! I soon switched to GHS Boomers, which are cheaper and last
    longer IMO. Go figure. I've used them ever since.
  5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Billy Sheehan used to be sponsored by Rotosound, but he stopped using their strings after he got fed up with all of their dead strings. I read somewhere in an interview (can't remember where) he felt so bad for people that would tell him they bought his strings and got a dead one that he would give them a free set. He said something about how Rotosound's quality control had gone way downhill.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Hm, I don't know about Rotosound's quality standards, but <b>7 years</b> of storage will kill any string!!!
    Most strings go dead because of inadequate storage in the music store (20 packs squeezed in a drawer designed for 15, etc.).
  7. apollo bassist

apollo bassist

I have tried many strings and I like the swing bass 66's. I have never had a dead string from rotosound, except for the Billy Sheehan signature set I bought once...the G and E strings broke during a gig and they were put on just before the show!

I also like D'Addario XL Reds which are copper wound. The tone is incredible, but they're dead in about 2 hours.
  8. Bassman18

Bassman18

I've only tried Roto 66's once on my Jazz bass, they had a great tone!...but all this negative talk is making me want to steer clear...
  9. shadewind

shadewind

Any string except D'Addario strings which come in an airtight plastic bag.
  10. Bassman18

Bassman18

You have a very valid point there!
    About to order myself some D'addarios off ebay...i wear out strings super quick...regardless of brand and gauge.
  11. Mad_Bassist777

Mad_Bassist777

strange, I LOVE rotosounds. Ive never had problemswith them

i guess they arent made to last 16 years?
  12. eddievanbassman

eddievanbassman

I love Rotosounds. I've never had any problems.
  13. rodl2005

rodl2005

WOW- a 9 yr break between posts! But I had a set of Roto's D string break on me as I tuned it up for the 1st time, Now I know this could happen to ANY set 1% of the time..... But thats not much chuff when U just shelled out good $$$ for a spankin new set!! I'd have no probs using Roto's now, but I often use coated strings these days- Ha ha- probly weren't even around when this thread started !!! ;-) So it's USUALLY D'addario's, or DR's, but now there are a fair few options for coateds- EB onboard now!!

BASSMAN 18 I wear 'em out fast too- always have done AND I get sweaty hands that kill 'em also- hence the D'addario EXP coateds... See thread re using Metho/denatured alcohol too- using this method has cut my string buying by 75% & I've new sounding strings 99% of time
  14. Bassman18

Bassman18

It must be us Aussies! ;) cheers mate.
  15. My name is Mudd

My name is Mudd

As long as the thread's awake...
    Could you post a link to that? I haven't been able to find it.
  16. BassLife77

BassLife77

hmmm in 30 years of using Rotosounds I never got a dead string. I always bought them from merchants who sell a lot of strings. I buy them from juststrings.com now. you can try the alcohol method. Walmart sells 91% isopropyl alcohol now and its cheap, $1.79. thats what I use. I always pass over the strings with a hair dryer to get all the moisture out
  17. Bassman18

Bassman18

How long do u soak the strings in the Alcohol for?
  18. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i love ROTO's!!!
  19. Meatrus

Meatrus

Around 24 hours is the norm from what I have read, or boil them for 30-40 mins (tested).
  20. ironrat

ironrat

false, I have bought nickel & ss rounds and chromes and all were packaged in an airtight bag.