1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

rotosound tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by donkeywisdom, Jan 18, 2014.

1. donkeywisdom

donkeywisdom

2. Grissle

Grissle

Any string made will resonate

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

We do have a string forum here. But yes, if you are strictly going acoustic, any string will indeed resonate; some more loudly than others, of course. The opposite is not always true. You can't use a gut string on a magnetic pickup (but you can on a transducer).

4. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Shouldn't have any resonation problems. I will warn you, though, Roto tapes have a very harsh "clickity clack" against the fretboard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grissle

Grissle

Rotos are very good for that woody upright-ish tone. I've never noticed any clack with tapes on a fretless??

7. mbelue

mbelue

Tapes sound great on an acoustic bass. They generally aren't that loud acoustically. An acoustic bass generally isn't that loud to start with. IME its a bad combination for acoustic playing.
    That being said tapes are the bees knees with piezo pickups commonly found on acoustic basses.

8. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

I honestly can't speak for fretless... the OP didn't specify, so I assumed we're dealing with frets.

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

For me, Rotosound tapes are way back behind LaBella and D'Addario. String tension was too high and woody wasn't to be found for me... 3rd or 9th place, the roto's didn't make the cut for me. I have tapes on 3 basses.

10. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Labella white nylon

11. mbelue

mbelue

Interesting, cause now I'm really interested in getting a set of Rotos for the high tension.

12. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I have Roto tapes on a shortscale '65 Rivoli and don 't find them to have what I consider high tension. They do sound great almost uprightish on this particular bass .

13. newbold

newbold

They're amazing on my Jazz Bass - wouldn't think to try another tapewound on acoustic had I not read this thread.

sub'd

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

moved to Strings