Rotosound Tapewounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Coolhandjjl, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

I acquired a set of Rotosound RS88 True Bass Black Nylon Tapewounds in their standard 115/100/75/65 gauge. My bass' s nut is cut for more conventional gauge of 105/80/65/45 or something like that.

I tried the 115 string by laying it over the nut where no string was cut just to try it out. Sounds cool!

Couple of choices with some questions:

Buy some nut files and learn how to file the nut to accommodate these tapewounds. Will doing so mean I can't go back to conventional gauges later on?

Or I could start by stringing with the 105 RS88 in the 4th slot and leave my TI Flats G string in place (or look for a RS88 single in a 50 to complete the set) albeit now everything is in thinner guage now. If I do this, will my E string sound to weak being a 105 rather than a 115? The 115 tuned to E was fairly floppy, I couldn't imagine a 105 tuned to E.
  2. Coolhandjjl

Did some reading of posts bere, learning to file slots is not for the faint of heart, and is not for beginners like me.
  3. FFTT

FFTT

4. Coolhandjjl

Maybe that is a better way to go.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Same here man
  7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I suggest the tapes in a lighter gauge.

D'Addario, GHS, and now La Bella make tapes that sound great without having to mess around with the nut.
  8. Coolhandjjl

Regarding the LaBella vs D'Addario, which are woodier, closer to the Roto RS88s?
  9. old-fashioned

old-fashioned

One thing to consider about lighter gauge tapewounds is the G string. This string may sound unnatural or different (clanky) compered to the thicker strings on the same set, because of it's thinner wound tape... I believe this is why most regular/popular tapewounds are so thick. Tapewounds have to be thick.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

11. Coolhandjjl

I've a message to Jason, if the DADs are in stock and I can get them by Wed w/o a huge shipping bill, that would be excellent.
  12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

La Bella a little smoother, D'Addarios a little brighter.

I love the La Bellas on my Rob Allen (made for each other), and the D'Addarios on my P Bass and Stingray 5. I guess "woodier" would point to the La Bellas, but YMMV.
  13. FenderP

FenderP

I've talked about the RS88 set for years here. Standard strings on most of my fretless basses (except for the fretless P) since the 90s including my Rob Allen Deep 4. Dislike the LaBellas.
  14. donn

donn

I'm kind of surprised everyone takes for granted that widening the slot is out of the question. Minor alterations of the nut seem like a normal part of setup to me. If you'd rather take your instrument to someone to do these things, that's fine, but one way or the other. Of course, once you're done, you have a slot that fits a .115 string and it's much harder to make that narrower again, beginner or not.
  15. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

I just file the slot with the string itself.