Rotosound Tru Bass 88

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassist15, Aug 1, 2007.

1. bassist15

bassist15

I was wondering who had used these strings. Do you think my 02' MIM Jazz bass could handle the tension on these? If not what flat wound would be good on my MIM jazz. IT has seymour duncan pickups in it and I really like more old school sound.
  2. SmittyG

SmittyG

What timing. :)

I used these strings for years and then went back to rounds. Just about two hours ago, I was digging through my junk box and came across a set that had never been opened. (I thought I had used them all.) Thought about selling them and then decided to try them again and tossed them on my passive P-J Schecter.

To answer your questions: I've never found the tension that great on these strings. In fact, I think they are a bit less than the Boomers I had on the bass. The biggest issue you will have is the diameter of the strings (the E is .115). Some bridges don't deal with that too well and, most of the time, you have to file out your nut slots a little bit to take these bad boys. One other item: since the strings are wrapped in nylon, they don't ground to the bridge. If your bass tends to buzz when you don't touch the strings, you will never get it to shut up when you have these things on there.

On the up side, these strings have low-mid thump for days.

Hope that helps.
  3. Moreau

Moreau

SMITTY!!!! thank you!!!! Thats why my nut is loose! I also rocked these, about 2 years ago, and i found them cool. maybe better on a chambered fretless or something. but thanks smitty, i couldnt think wat strings i got that woulda required all that nut space haha.
  4. markdavid

markdavid

Hi,

The tension on these strings is actually quite low, the only thing about these strings is that they are quite thick (115-100-75-65) so you will probably need to file the nut to fit them. However GHS do a set of tapewound strings in a thinner gauge (105-90-70-50)http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=33701 which may be worth trying if you dont want alter the nut on your bass. Haven't used the GHS but the rotosound trubass strings sound awesome, very, very deep sound with loads of thump
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

I had a set on My Jack Casady Semi Hollow body and I could not get them to tune and stay in tune.
  7. jonphilpott

jonphilpott

I got the same problem with my epiphone viola bass. However, the strings do sit on top of the nut. Do you think filing the nut a little to get the strings to sit nicer would fix the problem?
  8. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Mine fit the nut properly and still have the problem of tuning and staying in tune. I would not modify the unt for these strings. I have just gotten a set of LaBella tape wound strings from Carvin for 19.00 and they sound great on my Casady Very upright sounding (nice and thumpy). I like these much better than the roto 88'S
  9. MortallyWounded

MortallyWounded

Wanna bring this back from the dead. I was going to try the True Bass 88s, but I keep hearing about D'Addarios and am wondering if they're a better choice for my MTD. I'd like to stay with the 045, 065, 085, 105, 130 theme. It's hard finding a good, balanced set I like for this MTD. I've tried GHS Boomers (crap) and now Ernie Ball Slinky (elephant talk) but I want something smooth, extra long scale, and not too dull.
  10. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    The D'Addario will fit an MTD if you get a newer D'Addario set with the 37" windings.

Rotosounds are 37" long as well but sometimes are up to 38" for the standard "Long Scale" the Extra Long ones would be too long on MTD's...

While on the subject of length, GHS and La Bella tapes will fit the MTD.

Which MTD do you have? Does it have a zero fret or a nut? If it is one of the models with a zero fret the plastic spacer should be easy to modify to fit the Rotosound tapewounds. Tapewounds are nothing to compare to roundwounds as far as feel. Rotosounds are probably the more flexible and most tubby sounding of the bunch.