1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rotosound trubass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Fogducker, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Fogducker

Fogducker

Was thinking about some Rotosound Trubass black nylons.

Talk to me about these for a Tanglewood acoustic. Will they work through the on-board pickup?

Heard they will get thumpy like my upright Kay, I like that especially when dragging it around in the winter. How touchy is the right string length?

Fog

2. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Yes they will. All strings will work with a piezo pickup found in acoustic-electric basses; some just sound better than others. A word of caution about Rotosound TruBass strings- They are fat gauges, which, in this case, will not affect tension as much as it will your bass hardware. The gauges are 65-75-100-115 for standard and extra-long scale, and the medium and short scale are 60-75-90-115. Either way, you will almost certainly need to widen the nut slot and your bridge may need some work.

I highly recommend the D'Addario Tapewounds. They are gauge 50-65-85-105 no matter what scale length. I've used them on two electrics and an acoustic, and they're fantastic.

Good luck!

Note about string length- Rotosound makes extra long (35"-36"), standard (34"-35"), medium (32"-33") and short scale (30"-31"). D'Addario makes them in standard, medium and short scale. If you know the scale length of your bass, it is best to order the length you need.

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    To be more specific on string length...

D'Addario is 36.25" Ball to Silk

Rotosound is:
    Long Scale = 37" Ball to Silk
    Extra Long Scale = 39" Ball to Silk