Rough Fret Edges on Jazz Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Yes, my 2012 Fender Jazz American Deluxe has very rough edges to the frets. So much so that I have developed a callus on the second joint on the inside my pinky.

The problem is much less in evidence on my standard American P-Bass and totally absent from my 2008 Stingray.

Is this a common problem on the Jazz Deluxe?
    How to fix it?
  2. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

A good tech can file the ends off and you will be set to go. It happens often when a bass was in a humid climate and is moved to a dry climate. This can also happen in winter when the air is drier. It's a pretty minor problem to fix, and can happen even on high end basses at times.
  3. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    There's nothing like giving your bass a little love and attention when you first get it and over time. Spend the time and or money to get a once over by a decent tech. Money or time well spent. Consider it required maintenance.
  4. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

I certainly don't mind doing maintenance over time, but this bass is just one month old. Is it too much to expect Fender to get it right in the factory?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phmike

phmike

It probably was right at the factory but as mentioned above wood shrinks and swells depending on the humidity. Basses built in the summer (or different geographic region - America to the UK) often have "fret sprout" in the winter or location they are shipped to. It is a bit hard to compensate for that when building a bass but it is possible so expect that kind of care in building from something more than a factory bass.

ps, If a bass was built in the winter or a dry climate there is less chance of that bass having fret sprout over it's lifetime. That may be why some basses develop the problem and some do not. It's no big deal - have the ends smoothed up a bit and play on. :bassist: Chances are if the ends are cleaned up good then you should not have that problem again.
  7. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I'm not trying to be smart but you answered your own question. I would expect to have to fine tune, and hone any mass produced bass although I didn;t have to do it for my Geddy Lee Jazz. I was very lucky. It however was MIJ and a good one at that.
  8. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

This is a pretty common thing to see, especially here in Denver.
    The climate here is dry as hell, and about 1/3 of the new Fenders I play that come here end up developing "fret sprout". It seems a bit more prevalant on satin finished MIA necks with maple boards, but I've even seen it on the MIA vintage reissues, and some MIJ & MIM basses as well, both maple and rosewood.
    No biggie - a quick fret filing from your local repair man will cure the problem.
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant

Fingerboard shrinkage isn't that uncommon. Especially after swimming, ala George Costanza.

Unless the bass is stolen, you should have some kind of warranty on a one month old bass.

Contact dealer.
    Contact Fender.

If the issue goes unresolved then you have plenty of space to complain.