round to flat

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jjbuga, Jan 18, 2014.

1. jjbuga

jjbuga

is there anything that needs to be done setup wise to change from roundwound to flatwound strings (as in bridge setup)?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Some will tell you you'll need a full set up. I know one TBer that'll say a full professional setup by a luthier is absolutely necessary, and worth the time and money it'll cost.

I just switched from heavy rounds to medium flats on my pbass. I raised the e string a drop and was good to go. Took about 90 seconds.

Change the strings and see how it feels.

3. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

Intonation most likely. Also, since most flats feel stiffer you can probably lower the saddles.

4. jjbuga

jjbuga

Thank you for your input, seems like when I went to flats before the intonation needed to be set. I have a friend that made me a custom 5 string, I couldn't remember what I had done when I went to flats on my other basses, it has been a while.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. soulman969

soulman969

Wow, obviously spoken by one with far more money than time.

There's no magic formula when you change strings. How much tweaking is needed will depend on the strings and the bass itself. It's gonna vary.

All I would suggest is the same thing I'd do myself. Look the entire setup over from neck relief to saddle height to intonation and adjust as needed.

7. SasquatchDude

SasquatchDude

Never had any intonation issues after string swaps. Depending how big the difference in tension is, you may need adjust the neck relief... no big deal, just gently turn the truss rod about 1/8 of a turn at a time (shouldn't need much more than 1/4 turn) until it sounds and feels normal.

8. Jensby design

Jensby design

Well I sure as hell am not professional but I am a parttimehalfass luthier. My friends come over to my house with a pizza and some pepsi, you know just hangin out "Oh by the way, I brought my guitar and some strings. I thought maybe you could take a look at the set-up. I did buy you supper and all." :rolleyes: children :rollno:
    It's so easy to do a set-up it just takes a little more time and know how to do a good one. I couldn't imagine paying for someone to spend 3 minutes tweaking my bass to their specs.

9. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

Hey! I'm one of them too! :p