Round wound strings on a Hofner?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MagnificentB, Jan 24, 2014.

1. MagnificentB

MagnificentB

I know I will most likely get some heat about the question I am about to pose, but please be gentle:

I have a Hofner CT Club I recently purchased used from a fellow TBer and the bass came with flatwound strings. I have a '77 P, a Ric 4001 and both are strung with flatwounds, so I'm no stranger to them, but I find that with the Hofner, they're just a bit too thumpy for my taste, and importantly, the style of music my band plays. I absolutely LOVE playing this bass, and I would make it my main bass if I could get a somewhat brighter, more sustained sound.

What strings would you recommend to brighten up the sound a bit (and I'll assume they will need to be round wounds). Please indicate brand, gauge and scale...Thanks!
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

All the new Hofners come with roundwounds. Try halfwound strings. They're somewhere in between.
  3. BassistDale

BassistDale

4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Nope! These are the smoothest strings around, and brighter than flats, or the black tapes, and they're made for the Hofner so they've got the small ball ends and skinner tuner ends.

Labella white tapes. https://www.bassstringsonline.com/L...Hofner-Beatle-Bass--4-String-Set-_p_1531.html
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MagnificentB

MagnificentB

7. MagnificentB

MagnificentB

8. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

I've played Hofners for over 40 years. One of the greatest things I've found is the fabulous Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Round wound strings, short scale.
  9. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yeah, they do require medium scale strings like other short scale basses with a floating bridge design unless it's a company like TI that has short scale strings that cover up to 32 inch scale.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to have rounds on my Jay Turser violin bass and I loved it. Does make it more versatile.
  11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

I have DAddario XLs on my 500/1 CT, and they're terrific.
  12. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I had a Hofner Club for a while. Medium Scale D'Addario rounds sounded fine on it.
  13. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    La Bella has Deep Talkin Rounds made specifically for the Hofners
  14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Round wound strings on a Hofner?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why not?
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw that thread title :) sweet goodness there is a rule that they must be strung with flats it will void the warranty if you use rounds.
  16. gary m

gary m

This.

On my Club, I've kept the flats on. To get a brighter tone, I run both pickups full on with treble and bass switches off, and boost the mids on my amp between 2k and 4k. Seems safer that stringing up with rounds and possibly causing structural problems.
  17. MagnificentB

MagnificentB

NOT this.

Hofner CT Clubs COME FROM THE FACTORY with ROUND WOUND strings (look it up on Hofner's website if you don't believe me), therefore, there is no voiding the warranty, no structural problems, or any other silliness.

I'm not asking permission or for anyone's opinion about WHETHER I should put round wound strings on MY BASS. If you read my post and have something constructive to contribute, great, if not, move along, there's nothing to see here.

Thanks!
  18. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Preferences are neither right, nor wrong.
    It's a choice you can make. Hofner actually sells Round wound strings under their Hofner brand, which are made by Pyramid. They also sell aftermarket round wound Contemporary strings like they ones they put on the Ignition and CT models.
    Obviously, the round wounds are much less expensive, which is why they put them on the price sensitive Ignition and CT models. The more expensive German made basses are fitted with the classic Hofner/ Pyramid flats.

I can understand that it seems like high heresy to put round wounds on a Hofner.

It took me 40 years to try it. The correct round wounds on a Hofner can sound great - not the same as the Pyramid or T-I flats, but great in their own right. Several other well experienced Hofner owners have found this to be beneficial.
    My strongest preference is for Pyramid flats, but the T-I Rounds are whole new adventure in wonderful sound.
  19. MagnificentB

MagnificentB

I tried TI flats on my Ric 4001v63, and I didn't care for the low tension, so I switched back to Chromes.

I ended up putting D'Addario half-rounds on the Hofner, and I like the results. I get a bit more sustain, a bit less thump. If I roll the volume off somewhat on the bridge pickup, it warms up the sound and adds back in some of the thump, so half-rounds might be the best of both worlds.
  20. DionClassic

DionClassic

Have you ever tried the half rounds on the ric? I think its a perfect match IME.
  21. MagnificentB

MagnificentB

Great idea! At this rate, I'm gonna blow my retirement funds on bass strings...