1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Round wounds: bedroom tone vs recordings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KingRazor, Nov 1, 2013.

1. KingRazor

KingRazor

I've noticed something odd.

I love the sound of bright round wounds in recordings. In nearly every video or sound clip I've watched/listened to that compared rounds to flats I've always preferred rounds. I enjoy recordings of bright, modern, Marcus Miller style Jazz tones and P basses with fresh nickel rounds.

But in my bedroom, or at a guitar shop, I hate bright fresh rounds. They sound ear piercing. When playing a bass with brand new rounds I roll the tone knob almost all the way off. The strings I have on my bass are super dead now and I actually like it.

Maybe I'm just too critical of my own playing?

I'm thinking I might try something like GHS Pressurewounds to maybe get a compromise.

2. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    Its the other instruments. A lot of the harshness of the tone you here in the bedroom is masked when played in the mix.

3. benthughes

benthughes

Bright strings definitely showcase any flaws in playing. Since I got my MTD I've had to clean up my technique quite a bit. A bright round wound sound can sound good but it depends on the context. I've been playing DR neons lately which are reasonably bright but sound somewhat worn in pressure wounds may be a little dull... Depends what you like.

Experiment with flatwounds, half wounds or whatever. I like a bright sound but strung up my Lull p/j with flats and looooved the thumps throaty tone it gave me. That being said, I'm back to nickels. For live applications I prefer a rolled back tone , neck pickup and some overdrive.

You can never be too critical of your own playing!

4. elBandito

elBandito

I definitely prefer bright rounds going in DI for recording. I dont really care how my bass sounds solo. When my bass sounds good solo, it usually sounds crappy in the mix, but the opposite is also true. Whatever sounds good in the mix, sounds harsh when soloed.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KingRazor

KingRazor

While this plays a part in some cases, what I posted above is true even in solo recordings of bass I've listened to.

7. KingRazor

KingRazor

As a sound engineer I have to disagree with this, a little. Even though I know it's a favorite saying of sound engineers.

If the instrument sounds like crap on its own it'll sound like crap in the mix. I have plenty of experience with that.

You're right in that just because something sounds good on its own, it doesn't mean it'll sound good in the mix. Although that's often an issue of frequency range.

When an instrument is being played solo, it sounds best when it is taking up a wide spectrum of sound. Generally, the best bass or guitar tone in a mix will be noticeably different than the best mix solo, but they should both be good.

/end rant

Since I only play in my bedroom my solo tone matters a lot to me.