Rounds on a fretless question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jmceachern36, Dec 26, 2012.

1. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

A question for those that string their fretless basses with rounds. I bought a second fretless bass with the intention of having it strung with rounds but I've noticed that some of the notes are too buzzy. I restrung the bass with flats and no buzz at all. Is this just a common problem with rounds on a fretless?
  2. vincenzomauer88

vincenzomauer88 Supporting Member

Yes you will get that buzz on certain notes. This is actually desired by most as it helps create the mwah effect. Also, listen to what's coming out of the amp not the bass. A lot of times the buzz fretted or not, won't translate into amplifiers. Look into pressurewound, half rounds, groundwounds, etc, if the buzz bothers you but you want that roundwound-ish tone.
  3. jmceachern36

Ahhhh. Thanks. Now that you say that I didn't notice it on the gig at all. Just at home.
  4. atomicdog

atomicdog Supporting Member

Jaco used Rotosound Swing 66 rounds. I use them on my Fender Jaco tribute fretless. You can't beat em. Not sure about the buzz you're experiencing. Maybe your action is too low or there's something going on with the bridge or nut.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    That's why Pedulla calls their fretless bass the "Buzz".
  7. jmceachern36

I just restrung it with a different set of rounds. It's buzzing in different spots! I'm gonna try it again with rounds. I does sound nice.
  8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

It may seem obvious to you, if it is I apologize in advance, but if the truss rod isn't loosened quite a bit, lower tension rounds won't pull the neck down as much, and you won't have enough relief in the neck, unless you started off with TI flats, which are about the lowest tension as you can have - in which case, ignore this altogether, I have no idea why it buzzes.
  9. jmceachern36

The bass was actually made for rounds so that's what it came with. I made a bunch of truss rod adjustments trying to get it right. I was thinking there was something wrong with the board at first. When I restrung it I put tapewounds on that had less tension than the rounds and the fingerboard really got flat but no buzzing with the tapes.