Roundwounds for a flatwound lover

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HailCorduroy, Oct 28, 2012.

1. HailCorduroy

HailCorduroy

I'm considering going to rounds on my Jazz bass. I currently have Rotosound Jazz Flats on there and they feel "tight". My favorite strings are the La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats on my P-Bass.

I'm looking to have a more distinct sound on the Jazz. It seems like with both basses having flats, they sound too similar. So, what are some good sounding rounds that won't feel too uncomfortable on my soft, flatwound spoiled fingers?
  2. fretlessguy

fretlessguy

GHS Pressurewounds. Smooth to the touch, easy on your fingers, frets, and fretless necks. It's sound is a cross between flats and rounds, sort of a best of both worlds sort of thing.
  3. Duckwater

Duckwater

Labella Hard Rockin Steels!! They do not sound like any other roundwounds, they're less ringy/zingy with a huge lower-midrange bloom reminiscent of flats. Also they (IMO) sound better as they age.
  4. Deaky

Deaky

DR Sunbeams are really the only rounds I can tolerate. I'm a flatwound lover too but sunbeams are really very smooth for a roundwound string. They sound really good too.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Tapewounds are a really good hybrid between flats and rounds.
  7. Funkmeister79

Funkmeister79

I have a set of year-old Fender 7150s on my Jazz and they sound and feel great. Lots of thump, very tight and dry for rounds, but lots of warmth and a little bounce. That's the pure nickel set.
  8. mgbass

mgbass

On a Jazz bass, I love DR High Beams.
    Great feel, long lasting (for me).
    Try them.
  9. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Supporting Member

These.
  10. phmike

phmike

+1

I have two 5 string jazzes. One with flats (Chromes) and one with GHS Pressurewounds. Between the two I can get most any sound I need.
  11. HailCorduroy

HailCorduroy

Thanks guys. I'll give the GHS Pressurewounds a shot.
  12. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

I like the feel of GHS Boomers over D'Addario XL rounds. They're wound a little differently and feel smoother, though certainly not as smooth as tapes or flats.
  13. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Nickel rounds or half rounds.
  14. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Another vote for the Pressurewounds.

Roundwound that's slightly flattened in the process. These are perfect.
  15. soulman969

soulman969

Plus 1. The next best thing to heaven for a flat lover wanting something with more tonal character and variety. I've played a lot of different strings on my Jazz basses over the years but these Pressure Wounds are the best fit for me that I've found yet.
  16. spacebassed

spacebassed

there are a lot of different flavors of compression wound/pressure wound/half round/ground wound strings out there - that's definitely the realm you want to be in. i have ken smith slick rounds on my modulus and i love them. since you mentioned you like labellas, you might want to give labella deep talkin' quarter rounds a try.
  17. matante

matante

How about choosing strings based on their sound rather than their feel? Is that such a strange concept for a musician? It's music remember? It's about making sound.
  18. Duke21

Duke21

+1 on the Fender nickel plated. Warm and they cost less then most.
  19. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Dude, get real! :D
  20. Jawbone

Jawbone

This is s joke, right!:cool: I'd rather it feel cool to the touch and dial my tone in.
  21. HailCorduroy

HailCorduroy

But my fingers have to play that sound for 4 hours at a time. I love the sound of flats, especially on my P-bass. I like the sound of flats on my Jazz, I just want to have a different sound and I have tried full rounds and didn't like the sound. Too many squeeks and too bright.