1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Roundwounds on Fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by muskyman, Dec 26, 2013.

1. muskyman

muskyman

I was recently advised not to use roundwounds on a fretless bass. Firstly, I am guilty of already having done this. And yes, there are wear marks on the fingerboard. But...

Is there life without roundwound strings? I'm a tone junkie. Many moons ago, I was seduced by the cool talk of "jazz style" strings. I installed, removed, and threw these flat wounds away in one day. They made all my gear sound like an AM radio. I didn't care to make bad sounding notes, very fast with minimal finger wear.

So I hated flatwounds. Has technology changed?
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration Supporting Member

Have you ever tried half-rounds?
  3. GHS Official

GHS Official

Disclosures:
    Official Online Voice for GHS Strings & Rocktron
    First off, don't buy into that whole "don't use roundwounds on a fretless" line. Use whatever you want, period. Yes, roundwounds will wear into the fingerboard but with proper technique, it will barely be past the superficial stage. My fretless has had rounds on it for about three years, been gigged heavily during that time, and the markings are the same as they were when I first played it.

In terms of flats, the technology hasn't really changed that much. That said, I would give them another shot (and you can probably score a nice used set in the classified section here). I tried flats about six years ago, hated them, and figured "well, I'm just not a flats guy." In response to a gig a couple of months ago, I put a new set of flats on and was pleasantly surprised. Very different response and feel than what I was used to, but I think my "advanced" age since the initial trial allowed me to approach flats as "a different sound" as opposed to "it's either rounds or flats."
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Do you like the sound with rounds? That's all that matters. In 10 years when you've done enough damage to the fingerboard to matter, you can get it fixed.
  5. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Played Blue Steel rounds for years on an ebony board fretless. Even slapped it from time to time. There are visible marks but nothing that progressed significantly.
  6. Gjbl

Gjbl

I had round wound fat beams on my fretless, played 5 gigs or more a week, practiced at least a couple hours a day, and rehearsed maby 10-15 hours a week. Did this for 7 years and the markings where never more then barley superficial. I had chuck from bass emporium set it up real low I had a bridge that made it possible to go lower then stock fender, and the board was raw ebony no wax nothing... And it was ****ing amazing... It was a jazz bass and could do like 3 really good usable tones! If you have ebony I really recommend fat beams their just ****ing awesome !
  7. Camaro

Camaro

8. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I'm on the fence. If I wasn't too lazy to dress the board every year I would use rounds. I am, so I use dadario half rounds. Work great. On my rosewood fretless I stick to flats, but it is the tone I am going for.
  9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I only use rounds as I have tried almost all of the flats around and I cannot get used to them. The closest I found were the TI Jazz but I got tired of them after a couple of weeks. So for me it is round wounds on all of my basses (fretted or not)...:)
  10. muskyman

muskyman

I love the tone of round wounds. I'm a Chris Squire guy, and it's difficult to depart from that kind of tone. However, I've heard good things about tape-wound strings. I can't say that I know much about these. but, I'm open to change.