Roundwounds on Hofner bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pimpernel Smith, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Has anyone had excellent results with roundwound stings on Hofner basses? If so what kind did you use?

2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

I used Fender rounds on my Hofner Club bass for a while. Sounded great.

Make sure to get rounds long enough for the Hofners: 32" length even though it's a short scale bass.

Here's the Killers bassist playing a Hofner with rounds:

3. DavyR

DavyR

There's has been some discussion on this here. I'm probably one of the few who does use rounds on a Hofner bass. They really open the bass up tone wise and feel wise, IMO. And, one can just palm mute to get more thud!

Yes, make sure to buy MEDIUM scale strings, or sets made TO fit a Hofner bass. Short scale strings will most likely not be long enough for a Hofner bass.

As my main live and recording bass, I've 'forced' Rotosound Long Scale Swing 66 sets, with E = 105, on a Hofner 500/1 bass for years. The Rotosound medium scale set with an E =90 is too light for me. A few years ago I tried the LaBella rounds set made to fit a Hofner and was even more pleased. There was a small trade off, however. The LaBella set sounded better but had more tension. I'm about to try Hofner rounds but they are expensive. I didn't like GHS rounds. There aren't many medium scale rounds available so you might have to 'force' long scale sets onto your bass. By 'force' you have to thread the string through the tuning post as far as it can go and then just wind more of the string around the post! Ha!

4. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

I don't understand how short scale strings won't fit a Hofner. I was under the impression that they were, by definition, a short scale. 30"? Or are they like 32" or something goofy like that?

That being said, I have rounds on a short scale viola bass and they are simply amazing sounding. Forget the brand, nickel strings. Work great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Scale length is the distance from the saddle to the nut... There is a good two inches between the saddles and the tail piece, most short scale strings are 32" ball to silk / end of windings so you need medium scale strings for the hof...

7. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Sounds like T-I Jazz nickel roundwounds T-I JR324, 32 inch, gauges .042" to .093" would be in the running as a fabulous round for Hofners.

Or, Hofner's own brand of roundwounds with gauges of .040" to .095".

This could be interesting. I'm sure that Pyramid must make Hofner length roundwounds....

8. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

9. rfslick

rfslick

I use Dunlop round wounds on my Ignition Club and Beatle basses. To me, they have much more sonic bite and piano like tone. As has been said, palm muting fits at times. Any tonal difference can be adjusted with the controls on the bass or on the amp.

10. DavyR

DavyR

So, you use Dunlop LONG SCALE string sets on Hofner basses?! Dunlop doesn't appear to make medium and short scale sets.

11. DavyR

DavyR

I can't seem to find MEDIUM SCALE. I see MEDIUM GAUGE.

12. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

I have received my set of Thomastik-Infeld JR324 round wound jazz 32 inch strings from bassstringsonline.com.

I am astonished by these strings. Where have they been all my life? I think that they, on my little Hofner Ignition, makes my favorite bass sound that I've had in 40 years of playing.

The strings are deep, and clear at the same time. The feel is very soft tension with fine outer windings. It's been 37 years since I put roundwound strings on a Hofner bass.This instrument really came alive,and is punchy. There is more articulation than with even high quality flatwounds, so each note sounds more distinctly and combines with the natural acoustics of the violin hollow body. Because they are jazz roundwounds, they are not overly bright, even brand new.
    These are fabulous strings, and I'd recommend them if you want to expand your sound, or just want a very, very nice change .

13. Duke21

Duke21

Love his playing.
    I use rounds on my Hofner copy,

14. heynorm

heynorm

Played one in a GC a couple of weeks ago that had rounds. Didn't go through amp, but felt ok.

15. gary m

gary m

They do! Check out their Pure Nickel rounds, available in medium scale.

Of course, nothing wrong with Pyramid Golds for Hofner, either...

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to have rounds on my Jay Turser Beatle bass copy. Liked them a lot, too, but nowadays I'm pretty into flats so it's got an old set of D'addario Half Rounds on it (so they're not exactly flats...sue me).

17. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

Has anyone actually used the Hofner roundwounds and the T-I Jazz roundwounds on an actual Hofner?

How would you compare them in terms of tone, volume, string tension and longevity? So far they are sounding spectacular, with more output than the flatwounds.

After decades of playing the Hofner flatwounds and the T-I flatwounds (both of which I think are wonderful) , I never expected to find a string that I liked even more. It's quite a revelation.

18. gary m

gary m

My Hofner Club still wears the flats it came from the factory with. They still work for me.

19. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

I've to say that the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Roundwounds TI JR324 are working out far better on the Hofner bass than I had anticipated. After a few weeks their sound is even better, warmer, not at all muddy, deep and clear, punchy.
    Each note has spectacular definition. I play mostly with a very loud acoustic guitarist, who uses metal finger picks for most numbers.
    There is plenty of sound separation. My bass in no way sounds like a continuation of his instrument, very Hofner sounding, just clearer across the strings, and up and down the neck, from open strings to the 17th fret.
    Even the guitarist prefers the sound over Hofner flats, Pyramid flats and even TI flats. After 20 years of playing together, that's quite a comment.
    These are unique strings, and I wish I had found them years ago.
    Shall I try them on my Epiphone Jack Casady bass? Oh, yes, can't wait to get a 34 inch set.

20. DavyR

DavyR

Good to hear! But, for me, the "E" = 93, the price, and the TOO light tension of the TI long scale flats on my RIC, scare me else I'd give them a try on me Hofner. I'll let you know how my new set of Hofner rounds work out.

21. Pimpernel Smith

Pimpernel Smith

DavyR:

I'd be extremely extremely know how Hofner brand roundwounds work out. I've never used them, and I don't know of anyone who has.