1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Router opinions (Dewalt vs porter cable)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stuntbass77, Nov 30, 2013.

1. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

My old router broke so I am looking into buying a new one. Looking at Poter cable'a 690lr or Dewalt 616. I want something that can handle pickup cavities. Want something bigger then a trimmer router.
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Porter Cable, hands down in my opinion. They are great routers, and I like the simple height adjustments better than any other routers.
  3. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

broke several dewalt drills, but never broke my porter cable router
  4. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Porter Cable it is...... Thanks
  5. Big B.

Big B.

I've used both and was perfectly happy with the performance of each. The good thing about the Porter Cable is that it is THE standard router setup in the industry and almost all aftermarket router accessories and template collars will fit it.
  6. klyph

klyph Gold Supporting Member

The multiple-base kit is cool, it's much easier to take just the motor out of a table or jig when you need a handheld router.
  7. Big John66

Big John66

I have several 690s and they are indestructable. However, I recently picked up a Dewalt 611 with a plunge base. It's fast becoming my favorite router for guitar work. It's 1.25 hp, but it has plenty of power. The plunge base works really smooth. I like it mainly because it's about half the size of a 690, so it's real ease to handle. The main drawback is it only has a 1/4" collet, where the 690 has the 1/2" also.
  8. divetone

divetone

For pup cavity depth, a plunge router is best. I have pre Dewalt Porter Cables in my cabinet shop. ( Dewalt bought out Porter cable a few years back ) I haven't used a Dewalt but they are probably decent. Google some reviews and go from there.
  9. divetone

divetone

Also, I prefer a1/2" bit shaft for stability over a 1/4"
  10. Reticle

Reticle

This! 1000x over! I have an 890 and 2 690's and have not touched them since I got my DeWalt 611 (about 2 years.)
  11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have never owned a plunge router, I use a drill press to set the cavity depth
  12. P Town

P Town Guest

I own a few PC 69X routers, and the are pretty good, but for a (bigger) plunge router, I went with Bosch. Soft start, electronic speed control. Very satisfied.
  13. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

I plan to use my Forstner bit and a drill press for cavity depth.
  14. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

I plan to go with the 690 as it's seems to be the best in its price class. I still need to buy several more tools for building, so price is an issue.
  15. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

+1

I steer people toward PC routers every day because every one I own has been a reliable work horse, and the accessories aftermarket is tailored to PC routers.

We have dozens of PC 690s at school that have been running faithfully for years. That said, I can't imagine buying a new router that isn't equipped with electronically controlled soft start and variable speed control.

FWIW, when I removed the factory base plate from my Bosch 1617, I found an additional set of threaded holes that allowed me to install a stock PC base plate and use PC guide bushings.
  16. Big B.

Big B.

I agree. I prefer the 890 over the 690. The soft start and variable speed are just as nice an upgrade as the extra horsepower.
  17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Not to mention the added safety and convenience of having the on/off switch remain in a consistent position, instead of rotating around in circles as the depth of cut is changed. ;)