1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Routing an American Deluxe Jazz V for a P pickup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BFISHER1970, Nov 5, 2012.

1. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Changed my mind
  2. Splods

Splods

You could buy the Warmoth jazz 5 pick-guard. I'm pretty sure that is based of the American Deluxe model.

As for the pickup cavity, do you plan on not using the pick-guard any time soon? If you don't, then you would have to get a luthier to get a very clean rout with a guide. If you are planning on always using the pick-guard, you might be able to rout it yourself with a guide, and the pick-guard will hide any slip ups.

Good luck, and I would love to see picks when it is done.
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Have you taken the pick guard off it yet? If it has a swimming pool type of pickup cavity you will probably not have to rout the body at all. Just find the correct pick guard and install the pickup where the pick guard allows it.

If it has a Jazz rout, you would just have to have a square cavity big enough for the pickup to fit into. If you wanted it to actually be routed to fit the P pickup the Jazz cavity would have to be filled.

Warmoth doesn't offer a 5 string Jazz guard with a 5 string P rout, but they do sell one with no pickup routs in it, that could be cut by your luthier. It would be easier than building a custom one.
  4. Beej

Beej

Lots of us can do it, but I would suggest finding someone locally and checking out their work carefully. A second problem with the "appeal to luthier's corner" is that the Commercial Users Policy forbids anyone from contacting you regarding this - you have to look through the "Who are You?" sticky at the top of the forum and decide whom you want to contact to see if they will do it, get prices, etc.

Just to clarify, as it's not clear from the thread, you want to replace your jazz neck pickup altogether with a P pickup? I ask, because it kind of sounds like you want to add an additional P pickup in the middle of the two J pickups.

At any rate, this is a simple mod, and any competent luthier or tech could do it. Just make sure they have insurance in case they inadvertently damage something. Either that or make sure they would be willing to repair anything that comes about in the process. (most have heard my sob story of having to refinish an entire guitar that was thrown across my shop by my drill press... :D)
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Personally, I don't think the slight difference in position would be worth never having the option of going back to a standard Jazz setup if you wanted to in the future. I wouldn't rout any holes in that body that couldn't be covered up by a standard jazz pick guard.