Rubber-grips on pick = dead strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bunkaroo, Jan 14, 2013.

1. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I recently put new Circle K strings on several basses, and like the sound and feel a lot.

Something strange happened yesterday with a couple of my basses. The strings on both them died pretty quickly, after a couple hours of use at home. I had washed my hands like I always do and I always wipe down the strings between each song I play. I was not sweating.

The only variable I can think of is I was using some of the DAVA picks with the rubber grips on them, and I'm pretty sure some of the rubber was making contact with the strings here and there. I didn't see a noticeable amount missing from the pick though. I put a new set on one of the basses and I'll go back to my normal Dunlop nylons on that to see how it goes. I'd just hate to think the CK's die that quickly, especially since I haven't seen others complain of that.
  2. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    I am using a similar type by Guitar Moose. Even if there was some of this accumulating on your strings it would only be in that small area. I don't think this could affect the whole string so drastically.
  3. bunkaroo

Disclosures:
    Maybe I changed something in my diet and my finger acid went nuts. :)
  4. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    So the only other variable in this equasion is the Circle K strings...:meh:
    I've never tried them.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bunkaroo

Disclosures:
    Yeah and that's what I'm hoping is not the case. I strung up 5 of my basses with them last month. I admittedly haven't played them all much since then, but it just seemed strange to me that this weekend I had very dull strings after a few hours of use on two of the basses wearing them..

Would be a shame if my chemistry doesn't agree with them because I really like the tension and gauges as well as the tapered ends for fitting my bridges with heavier strings.
  7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    My Circle K's have lasted two to the times as long as other brands that I've played (namely EB and DA). I use them on all my basses and haven't noticed this at all.

Do you have non-rubberized picks you can try playing with to see if it makes a difference?

I might also recommend a DA soak to see if that helps get rid of rubber particulates.
  8. bunkaroo

Disclosures:
    Yeah I'm going back to using my usual Dunlop .88 nylons and we'll see how it goes. I have one of the sets in denatured alcohol now so we'll see how those do when I swap them back on to the bass that's wearing a new set at the moment.

I've always had a problem with strings losing "zing" on me but it's usually a more gradual process (like days or weeks). Last night, I took out one of my basses that I hadn't played since I restrung, and it sounded great. Within 2 hours, the B string was like "thunk". I mean it still rings for a while, but the grind is gone. I compensated some with my treble on the bass, but it's not the same. That's the string I play the most on my band's current material. The E didn't do much better.

I had a clean cloth I was wiping the strings with after every song I played too. My hands felt dry as well. Can't imagine what else would cause this other than the pick material.