1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rubner ebony "hatpeg" machine installation

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by james condino, Jul 4, 2013.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

A customer brought in a new set of Rubner individual tuning machines with ebony "hatpeg" style posts. The info I could find lists the taper as 40:1, which is used on no other bass or cello products I could find. Does anyone know where I can find a 40:1 reamer to fit these without spending $400 on another obscure specialty tool? Why do they not make it the standard 25:1???? 'Gotta get my old lathe running again....

Thanx.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

2. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    What would your lathe do for you? I suppose you could turn a spindle with the proper taper and wrap sandpaper around it. Not ideal. Does Rubner have anything to say about this? It does seem like nonsense unless they are willing to supply the appropriate reamer at a reasonable price. 40:1? Why?

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey James, how about a piece of dowel with a blade epoxied into a slot in the side? Then grind it to the right angle and sharpen?

I agree, its a pain in the ass but...

4. james condino

What I'd like is to have the proper tool to do it smooth and efficient the first time.

j.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    There's no need to go insulting people who are trying to help you, just because you failed to say to your customer, "I'm sorry but I don't do that kind of work."

7. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Yes James. You kind of hurt my feelings:bawl: I do have quite a bit of experience with machine lathes, actually. I didn't consider re-cutting the taper because chucking up finished pegs seems like a bigger pita than just turning new ones...;)

8. james condino

'Apologies to all. No misunderstanding intended. Pints all around on my tab the next time we meet up; "insulting" comments removed. Maybee working until sunrise 8 days out of the last 11 is showing....

Actually, I do that kind of work all of the time, as in changing and retro-fitting tuning machines. This particular set is the first time I've run into the manufacturer specific 40:1 for a new set.

Every day I learn interesting solutions from most of the local crew around here. The winking smile was because I know Robo's got a LOT more machining experience than I do, so much that I've bought very well made products from him- better than I could make them for a very fair price!

Perhaps it is the 7 years I spent in engineering school, but to me, anything outside of a 40:1 hole with a 40:1 cutting tool is not the solution and will eventually come back to me and I'll wind up needing to do it again at a later date. Tapered pockets with tapered inserts is an area where I like as much precision as possible. I'm surprised that a major manufacturer would offer a non-standard product.

I still don't like the machines; I rather live with the original $100 set, or spend more and have the Sloans....

9. RSBBass

RSBBass

Has anybody checked a set to make sure the specs are not a typo?

10. vejesse

vejesse

Disclosures:
    Double Bass Workshop
    I installed a set of these the other day. It's true, the taper of the spindles doesn't match any commercially made reamer but I choose not to drill a through hole through the scroll cheeks so it didn't matter.

Here's what I did: The brass collar that holds the spindle is right at 0.750" inside diameter so I installed the plate first, then drilled through with a 18mm drill. Finished up with a light cut using the final sized 19mm brad point drill and the spur of that drill held tightly in the collar marked the entry point in the other cheek. Perfect alignment. A 11/16" forstner drill was the right size there after shortening the spindle. I think Rubner has changed the diameter of these ebony spindles over the years. I remember doing this a while back and the larger end was right at 3/4", but now it's closer to 0.720". And I've found that although the reamer makes a nice tight fit, unless you're really careful about aligning the drill to the plate the reamer will tend to move your hole out of square to the plate. You almost have to be perfect right off the bat as it seems pretty tough to correct as you go with the reamer. Maybe better to get really close to final size with drills then finish with the reamer.