1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rufus Wainwright ("me" content)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Dec 16, 2013.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Here I am backing Rufus Wainwright last night at the City Winery in New York City. And yes... that's my SX P-Bass copy!

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice! How long have you worked with him, or was this a one-off?
  3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jimmy, I've been his aunt Sloan's bassist for 18 years, and she sometimes has members of her ridiculously talented extended family as guests at shows, particularly at her holiday shows. At the City Winery the other night, we had (in addition to Rufus), Loudon Wainwright III, Lucy Wainwright Roche, Suzzy Roche, and Sloan's son Sam McTavey. In the past, we've also had the Roches (the trio) and Martha Wainwright. It's always very inspiring for me to play with these folks.
    By the way (and this is for you), I usually use GK amps with Sloan, but at a show that we did at a small folk coffeehouse in central N.Y. State a couple of weeks ago, I used my Ampeg BA-110! Great amp! :bassist:
  4. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

Very cool, Doug! I've been listening to Rufus for a while, and he's a tremendous songwriter. His dad is no slouch, either.

But what...no Martha Wainright?!?!
  5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Martha was with us four (I think) years ago. I backed her and Sloan on a jazzy vocal duet arrangement of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas."
    I believe she was in Canada the other night.
  6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice gig, bro! The Wainwright extended family is very talented. Was a big fan of Loudon's in the 70's. And word to the BA110...great little coffee shop amp that doesn't cost much.
  8. dougjwray

dougjwray

Here's another shot, this time with Sloan Wainwright. I brought my GK 1001RBII, but ended up using my trusty old GK 400RB. (Both through a GK 210RBH cabinet.) On this tune, I used my '05 Fender P-Bass (MIM) with 17-year-old GHS Precision Flatwounds. :smug:

Attached Files: