1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rumble 100 Buzz Questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bajad, Mar 25, 2014.

1. bajad

bajad

Searched but did not find anything. Just bought a used Rumble 100 that has a buzz when the bass is close by. I know it is the amp as the previous owner told me about it also and the bass and cord are fine with my Rumble 150. I suspect a component has come loose or the internal foil RFI shielding has been compromised. Took out the four top screws but amp does not want to come out. Looking inside the slots the foil looks messed up and thought maybe the amp was jammed in. Before I hit it with a rubber mallet are there any other screws holding the amp in that I have not found yet? Also does it come out from the front or back?

Thanks!

Now fixed...see below.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Looking at your profile, it states that you have a Jazz bass..sounds to me it's coming from your pickups, especially if it's when the bass is nearby (I have a Yamaha P/J that gets the hum when I am near my amp).

3. bajad

bajad

Thanks for the feedback. If it was a minor buzz maybe but this is very noticeable and my Rumble 150 is very quiet with the bass. As you turn the bass around it is like it is picking up noise from the amp rather than the amp amplifying the noise from the bass.

Unless all 100's do it!

4. DerTeufel

DerTeufel

Try it with a different bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Leave you cable plugged into the amp, but remove the bass.

Does it still buzz ?

If no, it's your bass.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Give it a good sharp whack with the rubber mallet!

8. bajad

bajad

Fixed!!! Previous owner had jammed the head back into the cabinet and ripped up the EMI foil on one side. This caused the tightness when I tried to get it out. Also stripped off the foil almost completely on one side. I carefully tapped the head out with a rubber mallet and replaced the foil with standard kitchen foil. Tightened all the screws I could find. Checked and verified that all the ground connections were close to zero ohms throughout the chassis and PCB's. Tightened the nuts on the pots and controls and carefully put it all back together. No hum or any buzzing when guitar is close to the amp now.

Bass_Pounder likes this.