1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

"Rumble" by Link Wray (Request)

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Eight-String, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Eight-String

Eight-String

On the entire 'Net, I've managed to find one GP5 tab for "Rumble" that has a bassline, but it doesn't sound at all like all the "walkin' around" that's going on in the song. I think there's also one text tab by a guy who thought the Ventures performed it. That one looked to be "short a few notes," too. :meh:
    It seems like it would be pretty straightforward, but I can't figure it out. The guitar parts are great, but it just ain't the same without that bassline.
    :help:

Thanks.

--
    Doug C.

2. RubbaDub

RubbaDub

I've always wanted to learn that too but the bass is so damn quiet. I'll support your cause by keeping this thread alive. Maybe you should start one in the double bass room. It just sounds like some simple walking though, I doubt many people would tab it.

3. Eight-String

Eight-String

Yeah, I haven't tried "panning" it yet, to see if I can bring out the bass a little more.
    That "walking" was just my term for what it sounds like to me; I could be mistaken. (Something that happens only rarely. :D )
    Thanks for the [​IMG] , anyway.

4. sammyfallen

sammyfallen Supporting Member

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!

I'm also interested in the bass line to the song. The root notes are very simple. Just having a bit o' trouble on walking the D-D-A ---> D-D-A7 transition....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Eight-String

Eight-String

Yeah, I had forgotten about this until just now.
    Thanks for applying the defibrillator pads to it.
    Clear! {ZAP}
    :D

7. warnergt

warnergt

I tried once to figure out Rumble by Link Wray. The bass line
    is a bit odd.

Check out this youtube video of a newer version by Link Wray:
    Link Wray - Rumble (Full Version/Live)

Note the comments by the newer bass player. Wray insisted
    that he play a different, more conventional bass line. He also
    points out that many of the notes on the original were out of tune.

8. Richland123

Richland123

My 3 piece band plays Rumble but I worked out my own bass line for it.

9. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

One of the first songs I learned on guitar and still love it. Never thought of the bass line but now I'm going to have to learn it just for old times sake. Bands I play in would never play it.

10. BassAlchemy

BassAlchemy

Anyone got this? Im looking for this as well.

11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

"link wray" and "tab" do not belong in the same universe!

the original was indeed a little "random", with the upright player possibly even fudging a few notes because he didn't walk the chords exactly right.

listen to the track at loud volume and figure out your own line, that's how rock and roll is supposed to be learned! if you get the notes but don't absorb the vibe off the recording, you've learned nothing!

12. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

bonus points for wanting to learn link at all, though! (he's from my turf, southeast VA)

13. BassAlchemy

BassAlchemy

Actually I want the tab to hear how close I am at nailing it. This is a song that I really like and im not sure if im playing it right. I feel its right when i play it.

I just out if curiosity want to know if im playing it right.

This is what my ear tells me.

E G# B C# E E G G E B C# E E D D A C# D D etc. I play the song through bit just want to check to see if i am not that far off. ;-)

14. Eight-String

Eight-String

Thanks to all who have "chimed in" on this. I just found the vid where the new bass player offers some insight on the European tour, the info about the original bass being out of tune, etc. (Dang, it sounded okay to me. That must be why WalterW's suggestion to listen to it and figure it out would never work for me. If I could figure out stuff like that on my own, I'd be rich and famous by now. :D)

RIP, Link. Long live rock 'n' roll! :bassist:

15. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Can't help with this, but IMO the 'out of tune' bass (DB?) is what makes the tune. Same goes for the quarter tone in Donovan's 'Sunshine Superman'.

To my ears a lot of old school R 'n' R/Rockabilly bassists throw a slightly out of kilter chromatic walk in every now & then. Fretless & a foam mute gets a fair way towards this.

16. warnergt

warnergt

Never thought of this tune in terms of quarter tones. I just
    figured it was out of tune. It may indeed be quarter tones.
    If "E.5" = 'E' plus a quarter tone, then, for the opening riff, you get:
    E E.5 F G G# G#

See:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNAGjXByrpw

17. obimark

obimark

I hear it as E F F# G E F F# G- WIth maybe a slur between the E and F note--Position A-string at 7th fret

18. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

I may still have a tab of this version of the song. The original had some random notes I didn't like. See what you think and hit me up on PM if you want my version.

19. Davesound

Davesound

Hi

It's more then likely in the Key of E. Usually the chord progression was a 1-4-5 . The Chords would be E,A,B.Just play a walking bass using the 1,3,5 notes in those chords.Easy!

Thanks

Dave sound

20. obimark

obimark

Sorry dude, that is not EVEN close to what is played and like many have stated here that bizarre slightly off-tune bass line MAKES this song. It is not an arpeggio walk-doo wop type LINE at all.