1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Running a Dirty channel...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Hello, I have recently been splitting my signal between 2 amps abd running a turbo rat into one of them to get a grit channel and a clean channel. Right now my signal goes from my bass through all of my pedals then my tremolo (last pedal in chain) splits the signal. One output goes to my Kustom and the other goes to the turbo rat and then to the Ampeg. Here is my problem. When I turn on modulation effects like my chorus, flanger, filter etc I am a little turned off to the sound being passed through a dirty cabinet I want the chorus to sound full and watery not gritty. I though about running the tremolo first in the chain and having the signal split right off the bat but then all my effects pedals would only run through the kustom and the ampeg would always have that unaffected grit tone behind it. My first thought is this could be problematic when I turn on a Filter or Chorus or something and it's only going to one of my amps making it substantially quieter than if it had run to both of the amps. Sorry for the long message, just kind of confused and would love some input on what you guys think. Anyone who runs separate clean and dirty channels and has alot of effects I would love to hear how you have it set up. Thanks everybody
  2. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

i have a MarkBass Compressore, MXR Analog Chorus and two Tech 21 ParaDriver DI's, which I use as my preamps, into a Crown XLS1000, each channel driving a Hartke 210.

I first run, into the Compressore, with light compression, to even things out, and to add some tube warmth and thickness, then into one of the ParaDrivers, this one is set for low & low-mid emphasis with overdrive. I then take the uneffected parallel out from that ParaDriver, into the chorus and then into the other Para Driver, which is set for upper mid emphasis, a with little high and low boost and clean. So the lows come out fat and crunchy and the highs are clean, chorused and articulate. It's kind of Geddy-esque in tone. My feeling is that chorus/flanger/delay effects are most effective in the upper frequencies (and just get muddy in the lows), while the lows benefit most from overdrive, giving fat, growly tones.
  3. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

If you could be happy with the sounds from an Eventide Modfactor or Line 6 M9 they have stereo in and out jacks. I don't know what else has stereo in/out, but that may be the way to do it.

So your signal would go

Bass> split>
    Ch. dirt> Rat> Modulation L input> Modulation L output> dirty amp
    Ch. clean> Modulation R input> Modulation R output> clean amp
  4. Musicman1901

So when you kick on your chorus its only coming through 2 channel then? And your other channel is unaffected by the chorus?
  5. Musicman1901

1 channel* sorry for the mistyping there
  6. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

Do you think you could run a blender to to fix the situation? You could keep the modulation either before or after the main line signal if you want that to be a constant and blend dirt to taste, or the other way around. I would think that would be a lot easier than trying to balance two different amps and signals.
  7. Bermel

Bermel Supporting Member

What about an ABY pedal?
  8. sprag

sprag

Switch off the rat when you use modulation to have it run through both channels if your not digging it gritty.

Or try your idea of running the tremelo first. I run a clean channel parallel to an effected channel with multiple dirt pedals chorus flange lpf env filter octave and synth pedals with no problems. If you increase the effect amount/blend on your pedals that will make up for it coming through only one channel. Do this by getting your ampeg volume setup first then bring on your Kustom channel. then set your knobs up on your pedals. If you then turn the ampeg down your effects channel will sound over the top but just right with both channels running which I assume is what you are after.
  9. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Exactly, only the non-overdriven, high/mid emphasized channel gets chorused. Not that the casual listener would notice, it all sounds chorused, but the lows don't get muddy.
  10. Musicman1901

Yeah but if your chorus is only coming through 1 amp doesn't the chorus tone lose volume? Like if I turn on my flanger and it only comes through the kustom then the ampeg is still gonna be blaring out the non modulated signal which means only half my volume has the flanger effect on it. I like the idea of running an FX blend but then I have to spend a bunch more money hahaha. As far as turning the rat off for modulated stuff would make the most sense but I don't have 3 feet and it gets tricky to turn multiple pedals on and off at the same time lol.
  11. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

I'll say it again, if you're bent on using two amps, effects with stereo in and stereo out are the best way to achieve what you're talking about. A pretty steep initial investment I know, but if a Modfactor can work for you you'll be able to sell off all your other modulation pedals in favor of an all in one unit.

FWIW I've never heard anyone say that a Modfactor sucks.

Good luck.
  12. quincy_j_clomo

quincy_j_clomo

couldn't you just put your chorus after the tremolo on the clean amp side? it's the same thing you're doing with the dirt, just with chorus.
  13. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Here is how I avoided the same situation you are in....I would put the tremolo right after the tuner....if that's all you have to split your signal I would try something different
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
  14. Musicman1901

Yeah maybe i'll try doing something like that and see how it sounds. Thanks guys