Running a GK MBP cab with a GK head question ???

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Davyo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

I recently purchased the new MB115 series ll (love it, along with all my other GK gear) so I'm thinking about getting the MBP115 to run with my MB115.

I always like to have backup gear with me,,, if my MB115 combo blew up on a gig could I use one of my GK heads (MB200 or MB500) to run the MBP115 cab ?

The GK website says you can but they don't say which GK head can be used to run an MBP cab,, and I'm not even sure how an MBP cab would be hooked up to a GK head since the MBP cabs don't have a speakon or 1/4 jack input,,, the MBP cabs only have chain in and chain out XLR.

So I'm guessing the only way to perhaps run a GK MBP cab is by using the DI/XLR on the GK head into the chain-in input on the MBP cab,,,,, hope that all made sense.

But then again if your using the direct out from your head for the MBP cab you can't run direct to the PA since your heads direct out is being used for the MBP cab,,,,,, I must admit to being a bit confused about it,,,, anyone know the right answer.

I did email GK with this question but have not heard back yet,,,, I'm thinking they are pretty busy with the NAMM show stuff right now.

Being able to take the MB115 series ll and the MBP115 to a gig and still be able to use the MBP115 with one of my GK heads in case of a failure of the MB115 is a big concern.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers
    Davyo

2. Davyo

Ok,,,, I might have found the answer,,,,, the line out/ headphone out is also meant to be the chain out,,,,, a 1/4 inch jack from the MBxxx head to the XLR input on the MBP cab.

I saw a back panel picture of an MB800 head that says headphone/line out/ chain out.

But is that for a newer yet to be born MB800 head,,,, or will my existing MB500 do chain out even though it does not list that on the back panel.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Davyo

3. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

You sure can, it takes a 1/4 to xlr cable but you use the headphone/ line out on the back of the head. I have used that when I use my MB800 and run the MBP as a monitor for my drummer. thus leaving the DI free to run to the board. Just one more reason why GK is the best!

4. 2milehighspike

I don't own the MB 500. Does it have a headphone jack?, If it does you may be able to use that .

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Davyo

Very cool,,,, thanks for posting that !!!!!!

Cheers
    Davyo

7. 2milehighspike

No worries mate! Rock on!

8. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    The rumor is the GK has a pre amp pedal (like the sans amp) coming out that can be use with the powered cabs too.

9. Blankandson

Blankandson

I emailed the same question about going from the MB150 line out to one of the new combos (not the powered extension cabs) and got a fast reply. Yes that would work, but they said if I wanted to do another configuration to be sure and email them first. Seems their line outs may have different signal levels/voltage (?) for newer products than they have for older products. Anyway, yes, running the line out from the 150 into any of the new combos will work. When I get some cash I'm thinking of setting the 150 on top of the MB115 combo.

10. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Just keep in mind from what RAG has posted you will need a +10db signal for full output.
    I believe the "chain out" is also post master volume?

11. MingusBass

MingusBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    Hey guys. I won a MB115-II and a 115MBP at work. Great news of course but the MB115-II is on back order. So is it possible to use any head with a line out into the MBP or only GK MB series heads?