Running a head and cab same wattage?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jarrah, Feb 8, 2013.

1. jarrah

jarrah

I have a Markbass Little Mark Tube 800 that outputs 500W RMS @ 8 ohm, 800W RMS @ 4 ohm and I'm about to buy an SWR Golight 410 that is 800W RMS and 4 ohm. Will this pairing be ok in terms of power output/handling?
    The SWR has identical specs to the Markbass 410's that are marketed as being compatible with the Little Mark Tube 800.

Just looked up the tech manual for the amp and it says: 450W RMS @ 8 ohm, 750W RMS @ 4 ohm

Any info would be appreciated :)
  2. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

Absolutely no issues with this pairing.
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

You can use any amp with any cab for the most part. You can also damage just about any cab with any amp if you do something stoopit.
  4. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft I'm your Huckleberry... Supporting Member

Yup, you can power a 1,000 watt cab with a 100 watt amp, or vice versa. You need to listen, though. If it sounds bad, it probably is. You can damage a 1,000 watt cab with a 100 watt amp and vice versa, too. Just pay attention, your speakers will tell you when they aren't happy anymore, and that's a great time to turn it down.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep...rule of thumb is, "If it sounds like it's going to explode, it will."
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

+2 And to add a little to the last sentence: Typically cabinets are rated for their driver's thermal power handling (the point where they begin to melt). In real world use, the driver(s) will run out of excursion (the maximum distance the cones can move safely) at about half of that rating. Use your ears. If things start to sound bad turn down.
  8. Russell L

Russell L

Also, don't boost too many lows or it will make the speaker run out of excursion sooner. And if you do boost any lows, don't slap or let your hand bounce around too heavily on the strings for the same reason. Those spikes can be murder. If it doesn't melt the voice coil your speaker can at least lose its springiness by clanking against the frame. (Found that out the hard way, myownself)
  9. jarrah

jarrah

Thanks guys, I read through the replies and went out and bought this thing...holy crap it sounds awesome. Seems to handle the Markbass easily, even with the lows boosted and volume up around 70%. I don't think I'll ever need it that loud or I'm not gonna be able to hear the drummer I play with!
    I'm very new to the amp+head thing as I've only ever had combos before. I don't don't have much experience to compare them to but this cab and this amp sound great together, actually able to dial in a variety of different sounds through the Markbass and the cab has an adjustable tweeter. Very lightweight too. It was a bit of a hard choice between 8ohm and 4ohm, but I doubt I'll ever play anywhere big enough to warrant a second cab...and I couldn't fit 2 in my tiny car anyway.