Running Ampeg B100R simultaneously together with BA/310

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bachs Bunny, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Bachs Bunny

Bachs Bunny

Hello everyone,

first of all, please excuse my bad english... I hope you can understand everything nonetheless.
    I have a specific question, maybe you can help me out:
    I recently purchased a used Ampeg B100R from a friend, because I was pretty impressed by how it sounded and couldn't resist.
    I already have a BA300/310 Combo - I would love to run them simultaneously for playing with my band- but since I'm not the "tech"-type, i have no idea how to do that best - in terms of tone and also making sure, I don't damage anything.
    Since the BA300 has lots of outputs, while the B100R only has a line out, I figured it would probably be best to use one of the BA300's outputs to hook up with the regular instrument input of the B100R - but which output should I use ? Or is there another way, which doesn't include purchasing new equipment?

2. TexasFender

TexasFender

3. Garden Variety

Garden Variety Supporting Member

Actually, you need an A/B/Y switch. An A/B switch only allows you to patch the instrument signal to either A or B. The "Y" option allows the signal to run to both outputs simultaneously. I believe you'll get noticeable signal loss with a passive (non-powered) type, so if the amps are going to be run pretty hard to get the volume level you want, use an active preamp type that will boost the signal strength.

The BA300 has a level control for the 1/4" line out, so you could patch that directly to the input of the B100R, set the EQ switch to pre. I'm not sure that those two amps will compliment each other, but to each his own. It's a pretty cheap experiment either way.

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

A cool thing you can do to take advantage of the two separate amps is to run any effects that you're using into one of them, but leave the other clean -- that is, put your pedalboard after the A/B/Y rather than before in-line to one of the amps but not the other. This way you still have plenty of low-end booty coming out of one amp, even while using a bottom-sucking effect in the other. I've done this with a B100R and a B50R and it worked great.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 to use a splitter, but make sure it's buffered. Don't buy a passive splitter.