1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Running an amp on its side, or vertically

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VifferMike, Mar 20, 2014.

1. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

Brainstorming here ...

Some recent combos I've seen (Eden, Ampeg, Ashdown, etc.) have their power sections mounted in the rear of the enclosure, with the controls facing upward. This got me to thinking: why can't separate head units -- Class D ones, anyway -- be run in the same position?

I'm thinking this because I plan on switching from a 2x12 to a pair of 2x10s soon to facilitate more on-stage options: vertical stacking or stage splitting, of course, but also using one as a kick-back monitor in venues with a decent PA, or one vertically but kicked back some for small venues. The problem with a kick-back setup is there's no stable flat place to place the head except on the floor, where it's in danger of being kicked, something being dropped on it, or worse.

So why not run it, say, in a rack case sitting upright on the stage -- either sideways with the controls facing the stage front or (like those combos) vertically with the controls facing up? The latter would require a hole in the side of the case to run cables through ... or, run the head on the floor with the pedalboard on top of the case?

2. lz4005

lz4005

As long as you allow adequate air flow to any cooling fans/vents you can run them in any orientation you want.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Just check it doesn't hurt the cooling of the amp, some enclosures heat up quickly if they are not oriented the intended way.

EDIT: Too slow. :)

4. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

I've got a G-B ShuttleMAX 12.2, and I think the only time it could get hot is if both power sections were running at high capacity. In that case I'd be running both 2x10s, and at least one of them would almost always be flat on the stage so I'd likely have the head on top of that cab.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Vertical amp case is easy to topple. I'd much rather strap it down or onto the side of the cab.