1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Running cabs in series or parallel?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by billardbass, Jul 19, 2013.

1. billardbass

billardbass

I play a hartke 350w head with a 4x10 and 1x15. I've always ran them in series but my head has two outputs. Will running them parallel affect tone, resistance, volume, etc?

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You bought or made a special cable to run them in series? If you ran a cable from the amp to cab one and a cable from cab one to cab two that is a parallel connection. Exactly the same as running two cables from the amp head.

3. billardbass

billardbass

Oh ok. The latter description is what i do. Thanks!

4. David Jayne

David Jayne

Either way, even though it doesn't look that way you are running parallel, which is the normal and usually the correct thing to do. You'd need a special cable to run them in series.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I respectfully disagree.

Series and Parallel

When you hook up more than one speaker to an amp, there are two ways they can be arranged: in series, or in parallel.

Series means chaining the cabinets together one to the next.

Parallel means sending one output of the bass amp head to one cabinet and a second output from the head to another cabinet. Parallel is two (or more) side-by-side connections.

A special cable is not needed.

http://www.tunemybass.com/bass_amps/how_to_hook_up_heads_and_cabinets.html

7. B-string

Ah okay, the second jack on the cabs is just like the jack on the amp head as far as amp loading (parallel connection). :)

8. David Jayne

David Jayne

OK, but you're wrong. The website you quoted is wrong.

9. B-string

Sorry you are incorrect. To prove it plug a second cable into the first cab but leave the other end free. If the first cab still plays it is a parallel connection. No cab made uses a series jack as a free cable in the "output" jack would interrupt operation (that is a series connection).

10. B-string

Yes some hinky site can try to rewrite basic electronics if the wish, it will never make them right ;)

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Daisy-chaining cabinets is a parallel arrangement.

Series connections are extremely rare, and generally more difficult and less reliable than parallel.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Some combo amps that have an extension jack connect that extension in series. This is because the load the amp "sees" from the combo's speakers are the minimum that it can handle. These are special cases and are not that many in number. Separate heads are pretty much all in parallel - i've yet to meet one that isn't.

13. fkh006

fkh006

Wait!!!
    You mean everything on the internet isn't true???? :eek:

14. B-string

Lets Wiki that, hahahahahahahaha :p :D

15. 3506string

3506string

16. David Jayne

David Jayne

It happens. In this case, you could argue it's a language problem--from the site--
    "Series means chaining the cabinets together one to the next.
    Parallel means sending one output of the bass amp head to one cabinet and a second output from the head to another cabinet. Parallel is two (or more) side-by-side connections.

Most of the time you will wire bass cabinets in parallel. That’s how we will wire the upcoming examples."

In theory you could argue that in a sense they're right, but they fail to point out that the connectors on standard cabs won't accomplish a series connection and that to do so requires special, non-standard connections or cables. So it's misleading.

17. fkh006

fkh006

If you say so.
    In my world this statement is simply incorrect.

18. B-string

It is not just misleading, it is plain wrong. There is no "series" to be had, if anyone was picking cabs to match amp minimum load......disastrously wrong!

19. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If you mean this as "they are together in A series..." sure, I can see what you're saying. But in electronic terms, that's not a series connection.

20. B-string

Even then you would have to run a cable from the second cab back to the amp to be in "series"? Series is an unbroken dependant loop.

21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

I hope this site has a legal disclaimer in there somewhere and/or it's owner has good insurance.

It is completely wrong and following it's advice can and will lead to unsuspecting players destroying expensive equipment.