1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Running PA with (1) Main and (1) Sub

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by mam1862, Dec 3, 2012.

1. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

We play one club that is very small. We are also jammed into a corner and we have tried various ways of trying to get a good sound without blowing everyone away. My question is would it be ok to use one main along with one sub. We have a pair of the JBL JRX125's for mains and a pair of the JBL JRX118's for the subs. We have (3) Crown XTI 2000's. One for the mains, subs and monitors. Looking for thoughts/help.

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I've done it. If the place is so small there isn't room for two mains it's probably small enough that you don't need both.

3. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I do that all the time, works like a charm.

In fact, most of the bigger places would benefit tremendously from the "one point source" method as well. But as we all know, speaker towers on both sides of the "stage" look soooo cooool ;).
    As do subs under the tops as well.

"Two towers spread the sound better" is usually BS since the distance between the towers is great compared with the dimensions of the space we're playing in. All kinds of reflection and arrive time differences just create a sonic mess.

Good luck in convincing the other band-members on that approach though ;).

Regards
    Sam

4. Vinny D

Vinny D

At one of the smaller clubs I work at (providing sound) I do this all the time.
    One night I was forced :bag: to use the rig I had loaded in my truck...(didn't feel like swapping systems over for my smaller rig).
    A little over kill, but it was a lot of fun.
    Here is a pic during sound check..
    [​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Should work fine if the venue is small.

7. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Thanks for the input guys. I will give it a shot Saturday and let you know how it worked. Also the guys in the band are pretty flexible. I don't see this as a problem.

8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

A single main / sub config will be fine...but you won't be able to run all those neat ping-pong effects!

Riis

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

I cluster everything most of the time 1-4 depending on venue size