1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Running the Aguilar Tonehammer Pedal as a Pre In the Genz Benz 6.0

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jbassmaniac, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jbassmaniac

jbassmaniac REPRESENTING THE LOW END TO NO END!

Media:
    Albums:
    I just bought a Tonehammer Pre/DI pedal and want to use the power section of my Genz Benz 6.0 amp as the power amp and use the Tonehammer pre as the control center. Some say to do this I would run the Tonehammer into the Effects return loop on my GB 6.0 and that bypasses the 6.0's preamp. If this is true, then would I run my bass into the in on the Tonehammer? Anyone out there can help I would be grateful.

I will probably need the complete breakdown of what plug goes where.

2. RawOrange

RawOrange Not really an orange Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    You're right, just plug your bass into the "input" of the Tone Hammer, then go out from the "output" of the Tone Hammer to the "effects return" on the Genz Benz!

This will bypass the preamp of the amplifier and go straight into the power amp, allowing the Tone Hammer to act as the preamp.

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Correct, your bass goes into the TH preamp, the output of the TH preamp goes into the effects return (power amp in) on your Shuttle. The master volume on the Shuttle is the power amp input sensitivity and I would recommend starting with it around the 2:00 position which will give you right around +4dBu input sensitivity (typical for a power amp).

4. jbassmaniac

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks guys. So how would I set the gain on the Benz or is it not in the pic here?
    Also how do I set the gain and master on the Tonehammer?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Genz man told you what to do. That gives you full range of control with the TH controls.

7. jbassmaniac

Media:
    Albums:
    Why so snippity Downunder?

8. pudgychef

pudgychef

As far as I understand using the effect return would bypass the GB pre-amp including the gain.

As for settings on the TH...experiment and see what works tone and level wise

9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Brevity, have at it, you only got to worry about blowing your cab. TH controls are set up to mimic a tube amp if I been reading it all correctly.

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

I've also run my Tone Hammer DI into the effects return of a Genz 6.0 with very nice results. Only issue is that you'll be getting whatever things the Genz power section is doing in the way of limiting, filtering, etc. A little differernt perhaps than running into a dedicated power amp but it sounds really good, IME.

11. jbassmaniac

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm not sure what u ate saying. Is it that using the 6.0 as the power source, it has a way of compressing or limiting the signal somewhat. Is that what you were trying to say?

12. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

The Shuttle gain is bypassed when you are plugged into the FX return on the back. Essentially it is replaced by the Gain on the TH, and then you can use the TH's Master knob as a volume control. Be aware though that if you are using the DI output on the TH in "Post" mode, then the TH Master knob will also effect the output of the DI to the mixer, so you DO NOT want to be adjusting volume from the pedal once you get a good sound check. At that point, use the Master volume on the Shuttle instead to control your amp volume. Hopefully that will only be minor changes.

As for limiting, all power amps have limit controls built into them to protect the amp or any connected equipment. Some limit controls are better designed than others. The Shuttle is an excellent control, so don't worry about it. Just follow the general rule for any rig, which is to listen for the signs of any kind of stress in the rig...such as excessive cone stress (farting or rattling), non-musical distortion, any kind of mechanical noise, etc.

13. johnpbass

johnpbass