RUSH-mixed emotions aboot the induction.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peace Cee, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Well, Rush finally gets in. The thing is, it was kinda cool to like a band that sold a buttload of records yet never got invited to the "party". It was sorta "punk rock" that they didn't get in. It was like being part of a not so exclusive "exclusive club". It was like we "know" while the "others" just don't get it.
    Oh well,
    Congrats Geddy, Alex, and Neil.

2. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

IMHO, it will be nice to not have to talk about it going forward anymore lol

Im sure they feel the same.

3. hover

hover

Aboot...lol, eh.

4. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

The long snub was just a reminder that the RoR HoF doesn't mean anything; it's just a privately-owned tourist trap that reflects the owners' notions about what's important and what's not. It doesn't have any kind of official status or anything. It's always nice when somebody recognizes you, of course, but it's not like getting a Grammy or a Nobel Prize or something.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. guitardefector

guitardefector

Phew! Now we can move forward and get on with our lives.

7. stingray2112

stingray2112

Now I can finally get a good nights rest!

8. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Lol, Would have been hilarious if they declined.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    There are a lot of bands who should be in the HOF who are not and many who are in who shouldn't be. The whole thing is a joke and I will never visit.

Why aren't any of these bands in?
    April Wine
    Bad Company
    Barry White
    Bon Jovi
    The Cars
    Cat Stevens
    Cheap Trick
    Chicago
    Deep Purple
    Def Leppard
    Devo
    Dire Straits
    Doobie Brothers
    ELO
    Emerson, Lake and Palmer
    Foreigner
    Grand Funk Railroad
    Hall & Oats
    Iron Maiden
    Jethro Tull
    Jim Croce
    Journey
    Judas Priest
    Kansas
    King Crimson
    KISS
    Linda Ronstadt
    Mary Wells
    The Moody Blues
    Motley Crue
    Peter Frampton
    Peter Gabriel
    Peter, Paul & Mary
    Procol Harum
    Steppenwolf
    Steve Miller
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Styx
    T Rex
    Ted Nugent
    Thin Lizzy
    War
    Yes

10. portlandguy

portlandguy

That is a crazy list, Chicago, Moody Blues ????? should be in

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Hmmm...

I believe Beyonce has more Grammy's than the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd - combined. :eek:

12. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Holy Crap! I didn't know the magnitude of the situation. My post was meant to be toungue in cheek but damn!

13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Grammy Tally:

Beyonce - 13 Grammy's

the Beatles (7), Rolling Stones (2), Led Zeppelin (0) and Pink Floyd (1) - combined - 10 Grammy's

Record Sales (U.S. only):

Beyonce less than 10 million

the Beatles (177 mil), Rolling Stones (66 mil), Led Zeppelin (112 mil) and Pink Floyd (75 mil) - combined 502 million

There is apparently little to no value in a Grammy.

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

In 1960 there were only 34 Grammy categories, in 1970 there were 45. By 2011 that had risen to 109, but this year they're cutting it to 81. Beyonce has had a 15-year career during the age of "Grammy inflation" whereas the Beatles and Led Zeppelin only lasted about 10 years each when there were fewer categories to win in. So comparing the numbers doesn't really mean anything, and the Grammies are not supposed to just reflect who's selling the most records anyway - they are the vote of the musical community of who's doing the best work that year. In the 1960s the Beatles were considered a passing fad (there's the infamous line in Goldfinger about having the wear earmuffs when that music was playing), so the community wasn't in the mood to hand out Best Album Grammies to rock acts, no matter how well they were selling.

They don't mean everything, and of course people will vote for whatever's "in" that year. There is no one measure of achievement in music that everyone would agree on. But seriously - would it mean more to you to be awarded a Grammy, or to be inducted to the HoF?

15. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    You forgot Kansas, Styx, and April Wine. LOL

16. Casting Thunder

Casting Thunder

I'd like to see them blast "Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation,
    We have assumed control" and play Smoke on the Water at the induction ceremony, won't happen but it would be nice.

17. SteveC

SteveC

I'm torn, but I kinda wish they had declined. I think they accepted because it made their Mom's happy.

18. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'm happy for Rush, but the Rock N Roll HOF is a complete joke...and Rush knows it.

19. electracoyote

electracoyote

I think the boys in Rush have always known they would have a non-traditional career and fan/appreciation base. I doubt the wait comes as any surprise to them, and I doubt it made any difference about how they perceive their place in the fabric of pop music. I don't think they consider their careers in terms of things like "relevance" or "importance." It's just not their style or philosophy of the music business.

And I bet that, deep down inside, they will be just as thrilled and honored with their induction as any other nominee in the history of the museum.

I expect them to be true gentlemen about it, with perhaps the tasteful inside quip and wink-wink to their fan base about how long it took.

And I do hope they get to play a number (or medley) live. In this age of autotune and backing tracks, I think a lot of people will be utterly amazed just how good these guys are live.

20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Thanks. Can't believe I forgot them. I just added them to my post.

21. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

What? No love for the MC5 from the R&R HOF. Hell, just having a band with Fred "Sonic" Smith and Wayne Kramer in it deserves a look see.

When it started I thought Rock & Roll meant Rock & Roll, not everything else and some R&R bands thrown in to appease the public.