1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rush: Why the gender gap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Dec 8, 2011.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

I asked this question in a thread about why Rush wasn't in the RRhoF. Someone pointed out early in that thread that Rush concerts were sausagefests and another posted that his wife somehow grouped Rush and Primus into the same style category and referred to both as... get this... "penis rock".

I'm not very versed in Rush outside La Villa, Tom Sawyer, Big Money and a couple of other tunes, so I have no point of reference. My question is... what is it about women that keeps them from being fans? I'm hoping not to end up concluding that women are so shallow that they need eye candy with their music. Rush ain't models, but neither were Janis Joplin or Cass Elliot. Me'shell isn't either, but she gets plenty of male listeners. Esperanza and Tal play well enough that they'd get props without being female.

Female TBers, help a brother out (Male TBers, feel free to pitch in, especially if your wife or girlfriend has expressed a distaste for the band).

Full disclosure- I'm a Black guy who's been into (among other genres) rock for my whole life, and who has dated many Black girls who just didn't like rock, period. I DO understand the slight racial element to liking or not liking rock. The White girls I've dated are rock fans, but Rush never came up. That's how I don't know much about the issue.

So why would Rush not be to your liking if you're a female fan of rock?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f30/rush-got-screwed-again-833260/index3.html#post11862428
  2. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

Can't real comment on females liking Rush, but I don't think that can be cited as the reason they aren't in the RRhof. Heart isn't in there, and they certainly don't have that problem. RRhof is just a bunch of idiots.
  3. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

I'm guessing but I think there are probably a few reasons:
    1. Geddy Lee looks like a cross between a bird and a scare crow.
    2. Geddy Lee sings like a chick (acctually, he sounds like a 70 year old lady)
    3. Rush doesn't have any sex appeal and never seems to try for that image at all (contrast to Rock bands like Daughtry or Van Halen, etc.--or even Poison!)

Not being a woman, I'm just guessing. I know my wife likes Country music more than other genres and a good part of the reason seems to be that the men in Country music are sexy.
  4. FatCity

FatCity

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    A lot of metal bands fall into this as well. Maiden and Priest come to mind. I don't know why these bands don't have a lot of female fans, but they all have a few things in common. The lyrical content is much different than the average band, and they all have long instrumental sections in many of their songs. These things don't seem to appeal to a large female audience.

My wife doesn't like them either. It's all a mystery to me.
  5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Here's my guess, and I'm sure I'll get flamed.

To me, Rush's whole approach suggests boys playing with their toys (i.e. gear) and their material has absolutely nothing to do with human feelings, relationships, emotions, etc., etc., all things which tend to fascinate most women. Rush is about as sexy as a bunch of 8-year-old boys playing with their Wiis.

Also, Geddy's voice is godawful, and is about as far as you can get from Luther Vandross, Al Green, Michael Buble, Frank Sinatra, Sam Cooke, Jim Morrison, or about a million other GOOD singers who are beloved by women.

(Come to think of it, Robert Plant's voice is also hideous, yet women like him... hmmmm... :confused:)

:bag:
  6. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

No, no. I don't think they care that they're not in this HoF. I certainly don't. I didn't care when the Police (fave band of my youth) didnt get in right away, didn't care when they did get in, other than I got to see vid of them playing after almost 20 years.

I'm responding to the idea that Rush and bands like Rush are for guys only. I don't know how true it is or if it's true or not. I do know I've read it here a bunch of times and thought finally that I'd ask.
  7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

#1 Reason: they dont sing gooey love songs or songs about walking into a club and having everyone bow down to their hotness. Their lyrics are much more cerebral.

Also, every Rush concert I have been to (every tour since 86) there have been lots of women. Not as much as a Carrie Underwood or Madonna, but more than you would be led to believe.
  8. RBrownBass

RBrownBass

Not flaming at all, but I'm hoping a woman will show up here and debunk this. It's pretty shallow on its face.

Exactly. Why does it matter what the singer sounds like as long as s/he's in tune and doesn't stammer, lisp or hiccup?
  9. BROKEN OHMS

BROKEN OHMS

My wife LOVES Rush and really likes Primus a lot!
  10. renobassman

renobassman

Most of the girls I know tend to like music that is easy to dance to. Rush doesn't exactly fit that bill.
  11. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I dont agree about Geddy's voice. I dont like any of those people you mentioned but thats a personal choice. i do agree that alot of women, like my wife for example, like simpler songs about love and repetitive beats. Its not a put down but she just wants to listen to be entertained and not have to think about it. I pick things apart like crazy and like technical aspects combined with good songwriting.
  12. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

You forgot to mention that Rob Halford is homosexual so I'm willing to bet he's not putting out much of the sexy vibe to the girls.
    :bag:

I showed a Queen video to my wife on YouTube. She thought the music was OK but she found Freddie Mercury repulsive. She said, "He's prancing around like he's a show horse". :D
  13. ksandvik

ksandvik

Looking at video footage of their shows across the years me thinks the ratio has gone from 90/10 to 60/40 today...
  14. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

What? You can't dance to YYZ?
  15. electracoyote

electracoyote

Back in the day, pencil neck geeks singing about the Temples of Syrinx in helium-infused voices didn't appeal to most chicks. Well, not the ones you'd want to bang anyway.

However, if you watch Beyond The Lighted Stage, there are now quite a few Rush babes ready and willing. Just whisper some sweet, low, breathy lyrics from "Fountain of Lamneth" in their ears, see what happens.
  16. nortonrider

nortonrider

I just asked my woman and her answer...........
    "that guys voice".
  17. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

They're a "Man's Band", and that is a good thing. There are plenty: Black Flag, Motorhead, some Parliament (I'm thinking the Crazy "Sir Nose..." stuff) and some others (maybe a new thread). Think of the alternative: (The concerts that you had to attend to please your chick) Dave Matthews, Prince (great show), and The Cranberries (maybe a new thread).
    We need more of it/them.
  18. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I can do a mean "New Romantic Sway" to YYZ myself!:hyper:
  19. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

I'm a casual Rush fan. Back in college when I was into Ayn Rand, I bought 2112 and learned the bass line to the title track. Even though I'm no fan of hers these days (and to think, my Randroid parents named me after a character in one of her novels!), I still like the music. I also own Moving Pictures and Chronicles.

I suspect that the gender gap is more prevalent among non-musicians who look first and listen second. I've been listening to bands whose members would never win beauty contests for a long time now. When my high school peers were plastering their walls and notebooks with pictures of the hottest boy bands, I pulled out the posters from Guitar For The Practicing Musician and taped them on my walls. I knew I was different from other girls in that respect (among many others), but it never occurred to me that I should start listening to bands just because they looked good.

All that aside, isn't it a law that all rock bassists, regardless of gender, must at least acknowledge Geddy's skills? :)
  20. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

FWIW: A Rush concert is the only place I have ever seen a woman playing air-drums.