Russia anti-US adoption bill

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by AmpedSilence, Dec 26, 2012.

1. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

2. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

GOOD. There's plenty of American children that go unadopted in favor of "exotic" children. :meh:

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I guess they showed us (although the bill hasn't been signed by Putin yet, so it's not law).

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I kid you not but my drummer's girlfriend was an adopted child from Russia. She was living on the streets from the day she was born until she was about 12 years old. I'm not saying that there aren't deserving kids in adoption programs in the US who need a good home, but, from the stories she has told me of what she had to do to just to survive in what I think many westerners consider a modernized country, I think it's important that we try to keep these relationships open with the Russian people.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

There are tens of thousands of children living over there that are literally starving to death. Only an ignorant fool would support a ridiculous law like that.

7. knumbskull

knumbskull

poverty is poverty, but i think poverty in Russia is probably worse at the moment.

8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

I'm betting there'll be countless similar stories in most, if not all, developed countries.

9. FF Petro

FF Petro

Many people prefer to adopt foreign children not for the exotic affect but for the legal aspects. In the US is costs thousands to even be considered for adopting. IF you do get a child, many times it's just a matter of time before a biological family member wants the child back. The courts will award custody to the birth family in almost all cases.

It is just easier, usually quicker, and without many of the downsides to get a child from other parts of the world.

On topic, I don't believe too many foreign born adoptive children come from former USSR countries. Many of these children are not kids that a normal couple can raise; the will have permanent social, mental and physical issues by the time of adoption due to lack of attention and general care because their adoption processes are long and arduous, much like here in the US. So, this is really a non-issue for most serious people looking to adopt.

10. AmpedSilence

AmpedSilence

Good insight guys, I can appreciate my earlier sentiment a bit better now. Child adoption is child adoption, and international boarders shouldn't really be an issue.

It is sad how difficult it seems to adopt US vs Foreign. It doesn't seem some of the strict rules don't help the child out in the long run

11. AaronMB

AaronMB

Interesting read. Thanks for posting.

It's pretty sad that our [U.S.] system is better set up to outsource adoptions too.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

So long as US citizens can still mail-order Russian wives its all good. Just wait another 18 years...

13. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

So what's your point? You can't seriously compare adopting orphaned children with mail-order bride scams.

14. MatticusMania

Whats your point? You obviously missed the joke, alls well.
    What makes you say that mail-order brides are a scam, though?

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Definitely. That in mind...

I can't help but think being in an adoption program in the US is a better position to be in than on the streets in Russia. Then again, I very well could be wrong. :meh:

16. Richland123

Richland123

My cousin and his wife adopted a boy from China a few years ago when he was about 2 years old. The child was born with a cleft palate and needed surgery and his birth parents gave him up and put him in a home for unwanted children. My cousin and his wife went through all the legal channels and went to China and adopted the child and brought him here. He eventually had his surgery and is now a very happy and healthy six year old because somebody saved him from who knows what type of life he may have had.

They tried to adopt a U.S. child but the waiting list was very long and they found that there were many children in China with health issues who needed a loving home. They are both local school teachers.

17. JFOC

JFOC

18. MatticusMania

The article in the OP outlined a different reason...

19. viper4000

viper4000

None of this really has anything to do with the adoption of children. Sad to say this is political. Entirely political.

20. MatticusMania

Indeed.

21. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Err...

"The bill is one part of a larger measure by lawmakers retaliating against a recently signed U.S. law that calls for sanctions against Russians deemed to be human rights violators."