Russian Big Muff vs. Big Muff Bass Deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timpala, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

So I spent 6 years of my life playing bass through a Russian Big Muff before bass fuzz pedals even existed. Now, I see that there is a new Big Muff and a Bass Big Muff Deluxe. My question is... how do the new Big Muffs sound compared to the old Russian Big Muffs? I have to say that I think the blend control on the new Big Muff Bass Deluxe would have been a welcome feature on the Russian model. What are your thoughts?
  2. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

The tone of my Bass Big Muff is definitely solid compared to the Sovtek muffs I've tried. Maybe a loss of warmth, but I would say it's at least 90% there. The tonal versatility they added with the bass boost/normal/clean is really nice. To me, what that does is basically three different ways to retain your low end. You can put the bass boost on and not have to worry about it, go to normal and put the tone knob lower for that classic heavy/doom sound or go to the clean sound, which sounds to me like an exact 50/50 of the clean and fuzz tones. So yeah, I like it a lot, obviously the Deluxe version gives you a few more options, but for the regular BBM being under 100 bucks, it shreds.
  3. Projectile

Projectile

The old russian Big Muffs are all over the map. Different components and values were used over the years. A lot of the ones from 20 years ago have bad caps in them now with values that are not in spec. I think that's why a lot of people like them: because they are such a mixed bag it's easy to claim that certain ones have mojo. The great thing about a Big Muff, is that even the messed up ones sound good.

The newer Bass Big Muff is a solid pedal. It has a similar circuit to the coveted Green Russian, but with some nice added features. I would recommend it over any over the other current production models in a heartbeat. I even like it better than the NYC Muff on guitar.
  4. Timpala

I remember really liking the sound of my big muff when the battery would just start going bad. It had a really nice grit to it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Timpala

I think I will buy a new Big Muff Deluxe. I think it is my favorite besides my original Russian Big Muff. The ZVEX Whoolly Mammoth is a close 2nd.
  7. Guinness20

Guinness20

I can't decide between the big muff deluxe and the tall font russian :help:
  8. Timpala

Being a Big Muff fan, I will probably go with the Deluxe Big Muff. I have really liked the YouTube video reviews I have seen. The graphics on the deluxe model look terrible though. Oh well.
  9. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Anyone compare the new Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi to the old Black Russian Muffs? I've sworn by mine, but am curious about the blend/gate/crossover vs the pure tone of the Russian one. All those features are worth nothing if the standard Muff circuit isn't as good.

Thanks.
  10. spaz21387

spaz21387

I hated the bass big muff. The sound was terrible. I loved that old green russian I had but let it go when I got the blackout musket. Best muff fuzz variant out there.
  11. bray101

bray101 Supporting Member

Just to clarify, I own the old model black Russian Muff and am curious about the new Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi. Aside from the horrible graphics on the front...haha...does it actually get in the ballpark with the old Russian muffs in terms of pure fuzz quality before adding in all the additional features?

If not, I can't justify those extra features if the fuzz quality isn't there.
  12. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

tall font russian blows the bass big muff away
  13. strider531

strider531

I've owned both the newer big muff pi and the black russian and in my opinion the russian still has a better fuzz tone. I play stoner/doomy stuff so maybe the pi is better for other genres. Russian fuzz sounds more 'organic' and uncontrolled if that even makes sense. Big muff pi was a bit more 'processed' sounding i felt.

I also had a tough time getting the right settings on the pi when i would play different rooms so as to not lose the low end. Even with the bass boost engaged it seemed like it would disappear sometimes. I ended up replacing it with the black russian and havent had the same problems. I am the type of person though that wants to turn a pedal on and have it work without hours of tweaking so the russian got my vote in this case.
  14. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

As a previous owner of the Deluxe BIG MUFF PI I can say it is probably one of the better versions they have made so far. That being said it still didn't do it for me. The crossover I found to be useless but I am sure some find a good use for it. The DI also seems pointless to me. I don't know why you would want A DI on a fuzz pedal. Outside of that it still has more features than previous muffs. I wound up getting a Malekko Diabolik and have a Grey Stache on order. For now they fill up all my fuzz needs and sound way better than the Big Muff deluxe.

I may add a darkglass duality later...that thing just sounds amazing in the demos. But at $250 for a fuzz circuit it may be a while.

I actually sold the Big Muff Deluxe to my guitarist and it sounds killer in his rig. He loves it. So everybody wins!
  15. Timpala

I'll let you know when I get deluxe. I played a Black Russian for many years. Although I loved it, I always wished I could dial it in just a bit better. I always remembered loving the tone just before a battery would go dead. It had more of a gated fuzz to it.
  16. spaz21387

spaz21387

I just tried one at guitar center. Ill say its better than the bass big muff. But Id say there are better muff clones out there. Id recommend if you want a blend knob the wren and cuff pickle pie b is a good choice and its almost a muff circuit just tweeked slightly. If you want full on crazy russian fuzz goodness and then some the blackout musket is amazing. You also cant go wrong with the wren and cuff tall font russian.
  17. Timpala

I finally got the Big Muff Deluxe from backorder today. As always, I am always a bit nervous that I'm not going to like the pedal when I first plug it in. So, I don't set my expectations too high. I have to say that I absolutely love this pedal! The blend knob is the key that was missing from my black russian model. There are so many different great fuzz tones out of this that I now almost wish that I could have a switch for each one. The pedal is now very versatile whereas before it was a bit of a one trick pony. I also think that it retains the low end bass much better. I just got the pedal today, so I am still messing around with it. The true test will come at band practice. I recently picked up an Ashdown Nate Mendel Double Drive Pedal for a little grit in my tone. So far, the Big Muff Deluxe is able to get the grit & more. It also retains the bass better and is easier to dial in what I want. Still, I'll have to give both pedals some time. My ears are shot for today. ;)
  18. Guinness20

Guinness20

Was thinking tall font russian, but now i think it's between a musket, and maybe a cog effects tarkin fuzz.
  19. Timpala

I do have to say that when testing out any fuzz/distortion pedal I have tried, I have noticed differences in sound when using tube amps vs. solid state. I have been using an Ampeg SVT Classic tube amp since the mid 1990's. The sound difference even changes with the speaker cabinets. I have an Ampeg 8x10 and 2 15" cabinets. There is a difference in sound between the two. Even playing with the same amp settings. For those who do not like the Deluxe Big Muff Bass, it may just be the amp & cabinet you are playing with? But, whatever gets the sound you are looking for is what you should go with. For me, the Deluxe Big Muff Bass pedal works really well with my amp and cabinet. Half the fun is the search for tone.
  20. Timpala

This isn't self promotion, but I just wanted to show an example of a recorded black Russian Big Muff. This band I was in was a 3 piece, so I used the fuzz to almost use the bass as a rhythm guitar as well as a bass. The fuzz filled in the empty spaces. https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-street-urchins/id66785940
  21. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I am totally with you. I bought a Voodoo Power Pedal Power 2 plus with the SAG feature precisely to find a way to make that sound permanent if I wanted it.

I am also in agreement that I always wished it was a little more flexible.