1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Russian Government Poisons Stray Dogs in Sochi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matante, Feb 3, 2014.

1. matante

matante

2. Root 5

Root 5

Not surprised. I wouldn't expect anything better of a regime like that

The IOC should be ashamed of themselves awarding the games to Russia.

When athletes are afraid to go, you know you got a problem.
  3. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Yes, pretty ... awkward decision
  4. tplyons

tplyons

Wow. That's all I'm going to say.
  5. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

I'm surprised they don't use them for target practice.
  6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Couldn't have said it better.
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Well you must hate living in Canada then.

The northern reserves around here regularly have culls for all the strays, they call them "Dog Days". These dogs form packs and can get aggressive, quite frankly I would rather not have kids getting killed and people attacked than have a bunch of stray dogs running around. It does happen. In this case the issue is with the local population bringing in dogs only to not care for them and let them run wild, but that is a whole other issue.

I think the shame here is that they poison them and leave the bodies to rot on the streets, that is really inappropriate.
  8. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Yeah, Culls really aren't that unheard of. There's reasons to be disappointed with the IOC/Russia, but a dog cull isn't one of them, IMO.
  9. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

It happens here in the rural U.S. also, but the prey for the packs are usually calves. There is no official "cull" but when the problem starts to get out of hand, the local ranchers get together to solve the problem with rifles and shotguns.
  10. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Feral dog packs are way more dangerous than wolf packs. The problem isn't do much the cull, it's that apparently there is a big enough feral dog problem in a large city to need one. I say that as a dedicated dog lover too.
  11. matante

matante

I would like to know how they are poisoning the dogs. That information should have been in the story.
  12. Duuuuuuuuuude

Duuuuuuuuuude

I'm not saying I'm in favor of it, but have you ever been to Russia? There's hundreds of thousands of stray dogs in the streets. They roam around in packs. Imagine packs of wild dogs wandering around New York