1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rust on pickup poles?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bammons30, Dec 14, 2013.

1. bammons30

bammons30

I'm fairly new to bass and I've recently noticed some rust specs forming on my pickup poles. Will this harm the bass an any way? And how could I remove the rust and protect it from further rust? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. GK Growl

GK Growl

No harm to my knowledge. You can use a pencil eraser to remove most of it from time to time. I did that with my Squier P/Js and it worked great. Whatever you do, no steel wool!!!
  3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

It definitely hurts resale value if you ever want to sell the bass.
    My warwick FNAs Musicman style pickups polls rusted lost a bit of resale value and got the only partially negative eBay review I've ever gottenaq . I personally prefer pickups without exposed polls now and rust is one of the many reasons.
  4. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Yeah don forget a pickup is a magnet. I wouldn't try to remove rust with anything made out of any kind of metal.
  5. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

That's where the funky mojo comes in!! :) keep the rust!!
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    You could try lightly rubbing them with very fine emery cloth.
  7. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

How about green ScotchBrite pad? Would that work? Then maybe put some clear nail polish on the poles to prevent the rust returning?
  8. spz8

spz8

Look for polishes/cleaners for tarnished metal and chrome. Quad 0000 brass wool will work too. As mentioned, avoid using steel wool with magnets.
  9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have some rust on my StingRay's pickup. It has been a while since I tried to remove it but I am pretty sure I used something for polishing chrome and removing rust on motorbikes. I cannot remember what it was for the life of me, it made it slightly better but it is still definitely there.
  10. huckleberry1

huckleberry1 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    student
    Clean them well with steel wool than use clear finger-nail polish.
  11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Something to note is that corrosion, especially on gigging basses, is often due to stuff like sweat or excessive condensation that can eventually kill a pickup, even if it's potted.

If you're seeing rust on the magnets, it's a warning you should be more careful about use and storage, especially with stuff like SCPBs which are especially vulnerable.
  12. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS

all the little fibers will be super attracted to the MAGNETS in the pickup. You'll have a big mess in that pickup cavity.

Steel wool imo should never even go near a guitar let alone the pickups. It's pretty outdated and only really used before we had high grit sanpapers (some which are finer than that of 0000 steel wool), there are newer things now that are better. Stop with the steel wool!
  13. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

The "motorcycle" polish that I have found to be useful on light rust on nearly anything is called "Autosol Solvol", available in many places including the internet. It works as well on cleaning up pickup poles and frets as it did polishing the primary cover on my late Norton Commando.
  14. Bongolation

Bongolation

What is that like relative to Simichrome?
  15. Major Softie

Major Softie

Autosol, Simichrome, 3M metal polish - all pretty similar (even smell the same).

Metal polish will work but will make the poles more shiny. Scotchbrite pads will give a more satin finish. The one that looks better is whatever you think looks better.

Steel wool is not outdated, and gives much better results on some surfaces than microfine papers, but DON'T USE IT ON YOUR MAGNETS (for all the reasons already given). 0000 brass wool is an interesting suggestion, but I've never seen it. You'd probably only find it in a highly specialized woodworking store like Woodcraft - just the coarse stuff is hard enough to find.
  16. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

No. never do this.
  17. Bongolation

Bongolation

Actually, as far as I know, Simichrome is unique in that the manufacturers supposedly have a lock on the natural source of the superfine abrasive used.

I'm just wondering if in the intervening decades another comparable micro-grit has been developed. Simichrome is awfully expensive
  18. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

When polishing high-grade aluminium (like that found on vintage Norton, Triumph & BSA sidecovers), I found that Autosol Solvol made Simichrome seem like buttermilk, in terms of its polishing ability. Solvol was hands down the best polish I ever found. AFAIK, diatomaceous earth is the active "abrasive" element found in most polishes...what differs is the "grain" size used in each formulation. Some are finer than others.
  19. lundborg

lundborg

A small amount of grease (e.g. vaseline) on the poles should keep the rust away.
  20. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    Where are you storing you bass, in a damp basement?

Metal parts should not be rusting. If you are sweating on the bass, wipe it down.

The same moisture that is rusting your poll pieces could potentially corrode the copper coils in your pickups over time.