1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Rusting on the pole magnets

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AnirbanBASSroy, Dec 2, 2012.

1. AnirbanBASSroy

AnirbanBASSroy

i hope m posting it in the right forum. i really dont know what to do about this ad i am really worried. it has been around 3 years since i purchased my squier VM jazz. lately i saw that there is rust on the magnets of the pups. i am from india and it is pretty humid here, but i always keep my bass in a well padded softcase. i hope you guys can help me out.... :crying:
  2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Sandpaper or a dremel. That's what I used on mine to clean them up
  3. Margus Alviste

Margus Alviste

Cover the pole magnets with lacquer!
  4. delta7fred

delta7fred

It won't affect how the pickup sounds, it just does not look very good.

As already suggested carefully clean the rust off and lacquer the magnet tops to try to stop it happening again.

I have seen the magnet tops painted, one bass I owned had bright orange paint on them. It did look a bit odd I must admit.
  5. Mykk

Mykk

Clean them and coat them.
  6. AnirbanBASSroy

AnirbanBASSroy

thank you guys :)
  7. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

You keep it in a well padded soft case that retains moisture! Keep it on a stand and it won't rust! Neither will your tuners.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

No need to risk scratching the pickup plastic, just use a standard pencil eraser, spin it on the rusted pole pieces.

After you're done, you can either use clear finger nail polish to coat them, won't affect the sound at all, or even a tiny dab of clear oily lubricant.
  9. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Isn't clear fingernail polish a common method used to protect pole pieces? My AVRI precision had a clear coating of some sort over the pole pieces. It quickly wore/flaked off.
  10. Tense Zombie

Tense Zombie

Yeah, what Petrus & Mr. Moesele said. There's a tip about this somewhere on the forum. I (carefully!) took the covers off my P pickup, cleaned them, then put a couple light coats of cheap drugstore clear fingernail polish. Replace the covers and you're done. Works great, and also keeps you from getting that ugly noise if your fingers hit the polepieces. Well worth the $5 investment, especially if you have sloppy finger technique like me.
  11. bobba66

bobba66

Some people call it,"Mojo".
  12. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

+1
  13. Road Bull

Road Bull Supporting Member

One other thing. I would advise against storing things like basses under beds. The space between beds and the ground retain a lot of moisture and usually gets poor air flow circulation.
  14. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Not to mention, a second time,the soft shell gig bag (read: sponge) he said he keeps it in.