Rusty Box + OD/Dist Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jdwhitak, Nov 28, 2012.

1. jdwhitak

jdwhitak Supporting Member

I'm really wanting to setup my RB to have a a foot switchable clean/dirty sound. I know this can be accomplished with the boost foot switch, but the signal often gets boosted too much when using it. So, I'm thinking I need more control over the dirty sound. I'm exploring the idea of paring the RB with another OD/distortion pedal.

On this I was looking at the Aguilar Agro, B3K and maybe the Empress Germ Drive. I'm more into overdrive sounds, so I'm not really looking for something that can do insane distortion.

Any thoughts on all of this would be appreciated.

2. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

I replied to your other thread as well. I recently got a B3K, and find that they pair pretty well. The Rusty tends to bring out alot of high end noise and other harshness from things before it in a chain in my experience, so the B3K seems to like being placed after it at this point (I haven't tried the B3K into the Rusty when using it as a preamp straight into a power amp yet though). Both the Rusty and B3K add alot of higher harmonic content, so they are more parallel than complimentary in that sense, but I find using the B3K allows me to cut Treble and Mids a bit on the Rusty in a way that I like to get two useful and complimentary tones. The tone I get out of the combo of the two is verging on a thicker and punchier version of a Rat-pedal like distortion though, so might be to agressive for your needs?

I haven't tried pairing an Agro and the Rusty, but I could see potential there as well from what I've heard of it- the Rusty is pretty good about adding its character to anything it is paired with in my opinion. I think the Tone Hammer pre might be a better complimentary tone to the Rusty than the Agro, though it would be kinda silly using two high voltage pres like that just for dirt effects (or not!).

I (and most other Rusty Box users) am with you on the relative uselessness of the Boost channel- with the pedal set clean as I tend to like it, the Boost doesn't really get driven enough and adds too much volume). The only use mine gets is when pushing into my envelope filter in place of (or combined with) my fuzz pedal...

3. jdwhitak

Thanks for responding. I really dig the tone of the RB, both clean and dirty. I use mine as a preamp and not so much as a distortion pedal.

Anyways, I was experimenting last night with the boost. How much it gets boosted seems to depend where you are on the gain knob. Still, I'd like to have more control over my dirty volume and tone. I've had many people recommend the B3K. I think I'll get it.

The reason I'm asking about all of this is because I've been asked to join a cover band. The RB has a definite sonic signature. I don't know who well it will work in that context. I thought that a Tone Hammer or something else would be more flexible in that regard.

4. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

Do you have an example of a dirt tone you want?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The Tone Hammer is definitely better at more traditional thick drive tones, where the Rusty has a more "modern" thing going. A little of both could be useful in a cover band, but the B3K/Rusty combo might not be ideal for versatility.

7. jdwhitak

I think I'm probably going to end up have two or three different rigs! Amp wise I just have a small 20 watt practice combo. I have a Genz-Benz Streamliner with an Uber Quad cab in layaway at a local store, but I still owe a good chunk of change on it.

I have direct to PA/recorder pedal board though with my tuner, compressor and RB on it. I just want to maximize my versatility.