1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Rwandan Genocide - 20 Years Later

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iamlowsound, Apr 6, 2014.

1. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

This weekend marks the twentieth anniversary of the beginning of the Rwandan Genocide. Where neighbour turned on neighbour, where one million people were brutally killed in one hundred days.

Remarkably, the country is recovering very well, putting forgiveness before revenge and has the fastest growing economy in sub-Siberian Africa because of it. Rwanda is on pace the have 100% of the county covered by 4G LTE cell phone coverage, the first country in the world to achieve this. I was there in 2008 and saw first hand how the country is recovering, and how far it has to come still.

Here is an article about one of the forgiveness and reconciliation projects going on there. Warning, it made me cry.
    http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...icmst=1388552400000&bicmet=1420088400000&_r=1

lowsound

2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

3. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

yet the people who cluck the loudest about the shame of it all tend to feel that immigration from that part of the world is the answer...how will the third world ever progress if the best and brightest of them simply leave?

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Horrible tragedy. Similar stuff is happening right now in Africa. Romeo Dallaire has been attempting to raise awareness to the Central African Republic where Christians are murdering Muslims at a genocidal rate.

Romeo Dallaire, a Canadian, watched helplessly as he was leading the UN peackeeping mission in Rwanda. A truly respectable man.

(I am not making a religious post, just pointing out the situation)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

dalaire was in command of armed troops and sat idly by as belgian troops and ruandans were massacred ....hearing him whine about it all now makes me want to puke....

7. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

The Belgium troops pulled out. Dallaire had what?....a few hundred troops and was told not to use force, just observe. He could barely get out of his compound to 'observe'.

8. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

a few hundred troops and a massacre he could have at least mitigated....shameful,cowardly and a stain on the hard earned reputation of the canadian military....

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I really do not think you understand how a U.N. peace keeping force operates. They do not have the mandate (or manpower) to create peace, they are meant to maintain peace.

10. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Dallaire set up safe zones, or as safe as he could make them, and is credited with saving 32,000 lives. He probably exceeded the mandate he had from the UN, and seems to be saddened that he did not have the backing to go further. In a fast moving situation with a complex chain of command with a multinational force it is pretty impossible for such authorisation to come in time.

Given that he has been given awards for what he was able to do from multiple nations I can't see that it is a stain on the Canadian military.

11. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

they do however have vehicles,weapons and ammunition.....to sit by while people are massacred is a far different animal than "creating peace"....not since the days of the somme have staff officers been prone to censure decisions made by officers on the ground...dalaire could have acted and chose not to... had dalaire acted much of that could have been avoided

12. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The UN force was small, did not take up much real estate in country, and was ordered to not use force.

Guy was following orders. I don't comprehend how one can just do that when you're watching people get slaughtered right in front of you, but, he was following orders.

13. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

my point...

14. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

+1. Peacekeeping missions are not there for the sake of getting involved in other people's wars. They are to help maintain the conditions on which opponents who have ALREADY made peace can continue to build. If the opponents start shooting each other again, the peacekeeping mission is over and there's nothing to do but leave. You do NOT intervene.

There IS such a thing as a UN "peace enforcement" mission, but it requires MUCH more investment of troops and resources, not to mention political will. They are much more unusual and controversial, and there wasn't one in Rwanda at any rate.

15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

I get the impression he's not entirely happy with it.

Mostly I am baffled that one group of people can want to kill another but I am glad that Rwanda is healing. I am sure it will take a good more years before that process is concluded, but I wish the Rwanadans ever success with it.

16. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

it was not a shooting war...it was mostly a massacre of civilians....take a look at the films....women and children hacked to bits with machetes while dalaire dithered....

17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

There was a shooting war going on as well.

18. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The things humans can do to each other are just awful. It's been said we are never more than one generation away from barbarism.

19. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

if you think dalaire is some sort of hero for sitting on his hands,cool.....whether or not other governments awarded him is irrelevant...it wasn't their people being rounded up and slaughtered....

20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Yup.

The rebel army fighting the gov't started taking territory generally from north working generally south. The UN force was in a small area in the southeast of the country. By the time the rebel force had swept across the country, overcome the gov't force and ended up where the UN was, basically ending the genocide, 100 days had passed and nearly a million people murdered.

21. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Oddly, I'd just done a bunch of reading on this rwandan deal just last month. Didn't even realize the anniversary was coming up. Just ended up there following links that started with reading about world war one battles, which included the Armenian genocide.