1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

S/D Bassists #87 - A New Gear Argument

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by The_Janitor, Feb 24, 2014.

1. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

2. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Well if it isn't my old friend Mr. McGregg—with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg

3. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

but what i really wanna see is the cab specs. for example we can all agree that those 3015s and LFs have great specs, no arguing the numbers. frankly if i didnt need to buy 8 of them id have tried to get some for my 408s. but id love to see some specs as to why those speakers sound better in a certain cab vs another cab. if i loaded my 408s with 3015s, whats to say they wouldnt sound phenomenal (or at least in bar graph land)? or the other way, if i took a 66 box and put the CB15s in them, whats to say they wouldnt sound awesome just cause of how the box is configured? i wanna see numbers damnit!

4. Squanch72

Squanch72 Supporting Member

Come one 4:30 this work day is getting long in the tooth..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beebassdude

this no fuzz talk has to stop. the fearful stuff was bad enough but now youre crossing the line.

YOURE A DISGRACE TO YOUR PEOPLE

7. Ron Now

Disclosures:
    All my favorite bass tones have come from overdrives or distortion. Fuzz, just not doing it for me like it once did.

I like the cut/grind of an OD, fuzz just always ends up sounding too undefined.

It's fun for an occasional part to sound different, but when it comes to my base tone, I would take OD over fuzz 10 times out 10

8. mc_muench

mc_muench

And that is a statement I can't ignore, and needs proving.

The only thing is how do they deal with low wattage old SS? Seems like everyone always blasts them with at least 1K of watts. Do they still pound with the lower watts?

9. Ron Now

Disclosures:
    Can't speak for oldschool SS lower watts, but I used my 66 with 150 tube amp for cstvt practice.

Guitars were each using 200 watts of power through 4x12's and I was able to be plenty loud enough for them, with a little bit of extra volume to spare.

Comparatively my berg's with an SVT-II was barely loud enough, and I had no extra headroom.

10. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

11. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

What numbers and specs do you want? The reason the CB15's wouldnt sound great in the fEARful box is that the size/porting isnt right for them. So they will unload at the wrong time, meaning they will get farty too quickly.

The 3015LF has about as much displacement as two of those EVM-bs of yours. Displacement equates to volume, as you need to move more air to get louder.

12. Auspex

Auspex

13. beebassdude

why would a speaker fart out in a different box? the speaker is the speaker.

14. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz. Supporting Member

Checking in. Probably won't be around much this week b/c of class/work deadlines.

Plop.

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder

It gets real techy real fast, but specific speakers work best in specific sized boxes to compliment each other. You may replace a blown speaker in a cab with something different and think that new speaker is awful. It's possible the speaker is awesome, just not for the box it's in. Throwing a random speaker into a random box is a total crapshoot. Might be fine, might not

16. CL400Peavey

Right but the air space behind them is different. The airspace and porting provide a specific amount of resistance to the speaker. Too much or too little means the speaker either doesnt have content in the lows, or maybe it reaches its limits too quickly.

So real specs on the '66. A clean 1500 watts power handling. Will reach ~134dB, and will handle a low F#.

17. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Sad to say, but I'm with Ron regarding OD vs fuzz. I much prefer OD as a rule for what I'm after.

Will think of more gear arguments later

18. Ron Now

Disclosures:
    I can atest to this, I had these hughes and kettner 4x10's when I started playing bass, they were my cabs through all the early years of playing music, used them in weekend nachos and even once bongripper started.

I wanted to upgrade the speakers, so I bought a some really nice emience speakers figuring that they could handle more wattage and make my cabs sound better.

I didn't know anything about speaker science, so I just popped the speakers in the cabs, and figured all was good 10's were 10's, speakers were speakers.

the new speakers were meant for a sealed cab, and not my ported 4x10's (or maybe it was vice versa...either way, it was wrong) so I got no added volume, frankly they seemed even quieter than they were with the stock speakers. And they broke up/farted out much quicker especially since they were technically rated at 1600 watts or something like that.

the only thing that happened is my cabs weighed about twice what they originally did.

I had already sold the stock speakers at that point, so I ended up selling the cabs to some local shop or MGR who knows and bought my first emperor cabs....obviously I've gone into what a **** show that was.

But yeah, wrong speakers in the wrong box will totally sound bad.

19. CL400Peavey

So here is an example, based off of the 15PR400 and the EVM's in Max's cab. I have played around with the box size and tuning to get pretty good results out of both.

With 300 watts input on both here is what the excursion looks like.

[​IMG]

That is right about where the EVM starts to give up the goods, 300 watts. The 15PR400 still has a lot of gas left in the tank though.

Here is the output of both.
    [​IMG]

The Faitals are going to be louder with the same input as well. Combine that they can take more power, and are louder with what you give them, and it means in the right cab you can get a LOT louder. Keep in mind though, that the EVM is better than 90% of the bullsh!t out there commercially right now.

Now you compair that same EVM with the 3015LF. Different box, but in the lows there is ~10dB of potential difference. Which equates to a huge difference in SPL. I am working on the simulation now.

20. mc_muench

mc_muench

Hey look! I know some of these words...

21. Spidzior

Spidzior