1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

s.d curlee...to sell? or not to sell

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cliff em all, Jan 10, 2013.

1. cliff em all

cliff em all

hey im kinda stuck between selling my vintage s.d curlee or not..ive kept it so far because its my first bass its vintage and its been passed down to me but i never really play it and dont like the feel of it and i kind of want to explore new basses without having like 30 axes and i was wondering what you would do in a situation like this?

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

My first bass was an Aria Pro 2...heavy as #&$@, huge neck, would never play it today..BUT it was my first and regret selling it for that reason. Like a first love, there is only one. I wish I still had it.

3. GM60466

GM60466

4. CraigTB

CraigTB Supporting Member

yeah I'd say keep it too.

I know what you mean about not wanting to own too many basses, but keeping your first bass, especially when it's vintage and has sentimental value, sounds like a good idea to me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basss

basss Supporting Member

If you do decide to sell I'd be interested in hearing about it. PM me if you are going to let it go.

7. Immigrant

Immigrant

There is a small cult following of the Curlees. Not so much the ones stamped "Int'l" but the USA ones. I was in that cult for a while, but had to spit out the Koolaid.

If you have one with a straight, stable neck, it's a keeper. If you're dying to sell it, you'll have better luck posting it here than eBay. You may get more for it. Maybe not. It depends on the model, and there were a few. Mine was a Yankee II, like a poor man's Alembic.

Good luck.

8. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  9. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time. Supporting Member

I sold my first bass (a Peavey T-40). I knew no better at the time. Who would have ever thought of having more than one bass? I regretted it almost immediately...so much that I wound up getting another. It'll never be "my first", but it's as close as I'll get.

Keep your Curlee.

10. duckman

duckman

if it's in sound condition I'd say keep it. I've been a loyal Curlee fan for decades. 8 months ago I decided to part with my Yankee II. I miss it but do not regret the fact it's now in posession of a Young guy who's paying a lot more attention to it, than I did.
    They're so vastly underrated, It's almost criminal.

I don't think the new ones are overpriced, but there are so many other great basses within my budget, I probably skip them.