"S-tek" Bridge Intonation, B string problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by keyofnight, Feb 11, 2012.

1. keyofnight

keyofnight

I have a Schecter C-5 from 2003, and it has this funky "s-tek" bridge. It has been okay—aside from the occasional time I've lost a saddle.

One of the things that bugs me about this bass, however, is the intonation. I can't seem to get the B-string saddle far back enough—the B at the 12th fret is always just a little sharp.

What could be causing this problem? Is my B-string a little too heavy, or something? I'm using a pack of Ernie Ball 5-string regular slinky strings—the B string is 130 gauge.

I never had this problem with the E/A/D/G/C string set and tuning, but I need that low string. Is this intonation problem something I'll just have to get used to?

2. mongo2

mongo2

Is the B string too close to the pickup when it's fretted at the 12th fret?

3. smokindav

smokindav

I had the same problem on a Fender Jazz V so I went through the whole setup process with it last night. As soon as I properly adjusted the neck relief I was able to get it intonated properly. Try this with the Schecter.

4. keyofnight

keyofnight

I've got the neck's relief set pretty well. I liked it pretty flat, so I went against my better judgment and added a little more relief than I was used to. Was that a mistake? Should I have kept the relief low, or is it better to have as much relief as setup guides recommend?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. keyofnight

keyofnight

Not that I can tell. If anything, it could be too far.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Are there good witness points at the saddles and nut? (for all the strings?)

8. keyofnight

keyofnight

From what I can tell, there are good witness points on both ends. The string doesn't seem to have bitten into the nut too much, and the saddles aren't filed down at all.

9. keyofnight

keyofnight

I measured the relief again tonight, and the string relief is higher than I remember it. I'll readjust and try again. :)

10. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    +1

make sure you press down all the strings (especially B and E) right in front of the saddles.

You wanna have a 'perfect' straight line from nut to saddle

M

11. keyofnight

keyofnight

It looks like that truss rod adjustment did the trick. My B-string's saddle is no longer hitting the back of the bridge, and the intonation is okay. Thanks guys!

12. Bossman

Bossman

Im having the same problem with my E string on my Schecter Diamond with high mass bridge. I will try these suggestions too. Im using chromes and that E string is pretty stiff.

13. cnbasspat

cnbasspat

Where do you find replacement saddles!?!? I have the same bridge on my shcecter and desperately need to find a new saddle(s).